Made things awkward for myself.

Options
From April 2016-May 2017 I lost 66 pounds. I had a long and hard summer and ended up gaining about 30 back from May-Nov 1. I am now working on losing it again and have lost 9 of it. My issue is that poeple love to ask me about my weight loss. I made the initial mistake of letting other people ask too many questions because I was excited. Anytime I saw a friend or someone who noticed it was “ woo hoo! How many have you lost now?” And it was always a loss so it didn’t matter. I never really should have let it get that way. But I felt proud and accomplished. Now that I am losing again.. I feel grumpy when someone asks lol. “How are your weigh ins going? What’s your total now?” I feel such a failure and at a loss saying “ well I messed up and ....” I want to scream NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! But I made it acceptable to ask. I know a lot of you will say “this is why I didn’t...” but I am more so asking how you would deal with the current situation I am in. Thanks!

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend who they are. Are they asking to be nosey or encouraging?
    I would just say something open ended like " just still figuring stuff out. " Hopefully they will end the conversation.

Best of luck, you can do this gurl!
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I think it would depend who they are. Are they asking to be nosey or encouraging?
    I would just say something open ended like " just still figuring stuff out. " Hopefully they will end the conversation.

Best of luck, you can do this gurl!

Most are good friends with the best of intentions. I think it is just me that feels disappointed in myself for going backwards and I feel ashamed explaining it to someone. I let myself down.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    Try to think about forwards not backwards. (The Future vs past)

Psssst...I see that I spelled "girl" wrong above. But I am not going to feel let down. I am going to spell it right going forward. Lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Just say you had a difficult time for a few months and regained some weight but are back on track now and losing again. I would not give specific amounts. Or you could just say I am doing okay right now and change the subject.
    Weight regain happens to a lot of people. Your friends are not going to think badly of you.

In the past I did what you did and it was embarrassing to say I gained weight after being so enthusiastic about my progress. I stopped talking about weight. Other people stopped bringing it up when I was no longer talking much about it.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    I would really like to see some kind of statistics for how many people actually get the weight loss right the first time. (meaning maintained and kept if off for good, continuing with a healthy lifestyle)

Pretty sure you are in the majority. Most of us (myself included) have slipped back to our old ways after dropping a lot of weight.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If they are good friends, then being honest might be supportive. Talking about it may take the shame and disappointment out of the regain for you.

I’m working on that right now with some other aspects of my life.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I would really like to see some kind of statistics for how many people actually get the weight loss right the first time. (meaning maintained and kept if off for good, continuing with a healthy lifestyle)

Pretty sure you are in the majority. Most of us (myself included) have slipped back to our old ways after dropping a lot of weight.

Lost 60, gained 60, lost 45, still working on it. But this is too hard. Definitely gonna make sure there is no reason to do it a third time!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Why not just say you went onto a maintenance diet over the summer and now you are back on losing 1lb a week, or whatever your aim is.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    Why not just say you went onto a maintenance diet over the summer and now you are back on losing 1lb a week, or whatever your aim is.

This. Or, say you decided to take a break for a while, but now want to start again.
  • RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We all fail. It’s the strong that try again. You are just regaining your strength, that’s all. And that is something to be proud of.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could just say the current number and leave it at that. They probably won't even remember what you said last time. Lol.
  • max1mus2124
    max1mus2124 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! You can just politely say that you made a lifestyle change, that it's not only a temporary dieting plan you've been on since you started your weight loss journey. I face similar situations as yourself from time to time after losing 60-65lbs in over 2 years and some people still ask me if I'm on a diet. So, you simply have to take it day by day and not let others' negativity bring you down.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Just respond "good, slowing down a bit and not really focusing on numbers..." and move on. You're doing fabulous and dont need the reaction of others to confirm that. Stop feeling bad...you have no reason to!
  • Daddymonte
    Daddymonte Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much. I know you all are right. I am working on just owning it. Taking where I am right now for what it is and moving forward. Worry and being depressed about backsliding will only bring me back further.
    Just give the old reason of...
    “Changed my routine and stared to gain more muscle than l Thought”
    But then...
    Doesn’t really matter. As long as you’re happy really.
  • wendip84
    wendip84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In 2006, I weighed 200lbs. I made a lifestyle change and over the course of 2 years, I dropped 60lbs. I gained 10 back and then maintained my weight at 150 for 5 years. Then, in 2013, I got misdiagnosed with a pain disorder and got put on 9.5 pills a day... which led to me gaining 42 lbs in the year leading up to my wedding. It ended up being determined that it was just an abscessed tooth for 2 years and so they took me off the meds in 2015. I've been trying to lose the weight ever sincr, but it's not coming off as easily as it did nearly 10 years ago. I get questions all the time: Are you still working out?? Do you go to the gym anymore? ... it's hurtful because I didn't give up on myself or my lifestyle.. I've been working out and eating healthy, but it's going to take time for the weight to come off. I hate that people feel like we owe them an explanation. Makes me want to scream, "Mind ya fackin business!!"