Red Kidney beans protein

So I'm trying to fill in my daily protein quota by eating a whole can of red kidney beans with my meal. The entry I used was ktc red kidney beans weighing 240 grams but ONLY 11g protein for that whole thing???
Then this article said 1 cup (177g) has 15g of protein in it...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/kidney-beans

According to that 240g should have 20g of protein...that's almost double of what was included in the entry. Which source is more accurate?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Both are probably accurate, but one has values for drained weihgt, and the other for undrained.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    I drained the water then it came to 240g. I still feel like 11g is too low for that much beans :/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I drained the water then it came to 240g. I still feel like 11g is too low for that much beans :/

The question isn't whether you drained the beans; the question is whether the information in the entry you used was based on 240 g of beans, or 240 g of beans plus liquid, which would actually contain much less than 240 g of beans.

Personally, I eat a fair amount of canned mature beans, and I got "kitten" tired of trying to figure out whether the nutritional label on any given can was for drained or undrained beans, so I just use the MFP entries that match the USDA entries for
    beans, [type - in this case black], mature, [cooked, boiled] OR [canned] [with salt or without salt]

You can find the USDA entries here to compare and to find the appropriate language to search for (some beans are in the USDA database only as [cooked, boiled] and some are available as [canned] -- but we're talking about a commodity food here, where the only meaningful difference between one can and another can and the ones you cook at home, after draining, is going to be the amount of salt that was used. Since sodium tracking isn't a priority for me, I don't worry about that. I generally use "without salt" entries if available, because draining and rinsing and draining again (which I always do) gets rid of some of what was in the canning liquid.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't know where you got 11 grams from - I used this: https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/KTC-Red-Kidney-Beans-in-Salted-Water-400g/121402011?dnr=y which has 17.6 grams of protein for the whole thing.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Beans, black, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt

100 g, 132 cal., 8.86 g of protein [this is for drained weight, even though it doesn't say so explicitly -- just says "for edible portion]

hence, 240 g is 317 cals and 21 g of protein
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    The confusion here isn't drained or not. It is if the weight is for dried beans or cooked beans. 11g protien is ball park for a can of beans. 20 g is ball park for a cup of dried beans which when cooked yields about 3 cups.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If it's a can of kidney beans, doesn't it have nutrition information on the can? Use that.

If for some reason you have canned beans without nutrition information, the USDA entries are the best ones to use, and there is one for canned kidney beans:

16029, Beans, kidney, all types, mature seeds, canned, drained solids

124 cal/100 g, 7.98 g of protein, or for a whole can 330 cal, 21.23 g of protein.

But I'd use the information on your own can as more relevant.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    edited November 2017
    Okay thanks everyone! :)