Diabetes food ideas

I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes ... I'm looking for food suggestions and sources to get information on Diabetic eating guidelines.
Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,854 Member
    You'll want to check with a dietician but good guidelines are meat and veggies. There's some sugar free bread by natures own and good one by Sara Lee. You'll have to figure out your insulin threshold and remember that both carbs and sugar count when you are looking at nutrition because carbs convert to glucose.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Increase your leafy green veggies: kale, romaine, kohlrabi, spinach. Also, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, avocados, asparagus, squash, . . . .
    Salmon, tuna, pork chops, small steak, low fat beef, chicken, . . . .

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/eatright.html

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I crossed the prediabetes line into full-on type II several months ago. I ate almost no added sugars but way too many carbs, especially grains, thinking that "whole grains" were ok. The good news is that it's been reversed. Last A1C well below that "line" and hoping to get below the preD level soon. Consistently logging on MFP, daily recording glucose level, and avoiding the extreme bandwagons have all been key.

A few helpful resources: Good luck and watch out for the crackpots.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Always follow your doctors orders. With that said, since my diagnosis about 4 months ago my food plan is mostly lean meats and vegetables. I do drink a protein shake in the a.m. (get a good low carb/sugar one) and eat a Quest or Atkins bar if I need a meal on the go. I try to eat over 100 grams of protein (as advised by my doc) and stay close to 60 grams of net carbs per day.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Often your local clinic or hospital will offer a class on nutrition for new diabetics. Lots of stuff online too like the link above. I'm type II diabetic diagnosed about 15 years ago. Everyone of course is different and you don't say if you are type I or type II. Did your doctor give you guidelines to follow? I eat about 35-40% carbs (100-120 g) and don't eat any added sugar (try to keep under 30-40 g/day mostly in fruits) and watch starches (I eat small portions of whole grains & potatoes/pastas). I eat lots of vegetables, 2-3 pieces of fruit (or half if real sweet like oranges)/berries/melons per day, plus plenty of protein and fat including dairy. The key is to try and keep your blood glucose level as steady as possible by avoiding sugar highs and lows. The advice I was given was to eat smaller, low glycemic index portions every few hours which I try to do. My sugar levels and HbgA1c are pretty controlled now so I don't check my blood sugars like I used to. I take oral medication (Metformin).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    The most important thing is to lose weight. I've lost 30-ish pounds and my a1c was 6.0 at my recent dr's appt. He said that's the lowest it's been in years. I have over 100 pounds to go and expect my a1c to continue into normal range.

Meanwhile, what others have said about concentrating on lean proteins and vegetables is on target. Also paying attention to glycemic level to avoid sugar spikes.

You can start reading here http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/ and get a lot of good information from a valid source, the American Diabetes Association.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I recommend Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It is great book for reducing insulin needs or insulin production using a lower carb diet. http://www.diabetes-book.com/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I was prediabetic then diabetic for over a decade and I have been to dozens of nutrition classes. I am now in remission due to significant weight loss.

It’s not about which foods, but how much, how balanced and how often.

The only forbidden foods I’d say are sugar sweetened beverages and sweet pastries.

I want you to imagine a plate that is half full of leafy vegetables. Let’s put one tablespoon full fat dressing on top, no more. Put a protein source on the side about the size of a deck of cards. Let’s call it baked salmon for our example. The last quarter of your plate will be your starchy carb, like brown rice or mashed potatoes. Boom, you are done.

The balance of macros (fats, carbs, protein) will give you sustained energy without giving you blood sugar highs or lows. Essentially you are taking over a blood sugar monitoring job from your hard working pancreas.

I also suggest you log all your meals and how you feel two hours afterwards. Keep track of any blood sugar readings you take as well.

Information is power. If a particular food spikes your sugar, cut back on that food or combine it with more protein next time.