Help me recover from a binge

This morning I woke up and went to a coffee shop and ate a giant chocolate chip cookie. Then I ate another one. Then I went home and ate a box of crackers and a bag of chips. I feel disgusting and demoralized. I can’t even work out now because my stomach hurts so bad. What should I do? How do I stop this from happening?

Replies

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Could be numerous contributory causes. Emotions, anxiety, family or work stress; could also be habit, or even the result of dieting and exercise. Are binges frequent? NEDA has some resources to help. There is some fantastic books on identifying lapses in self control, and you are not alone. Books I recommend include The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal, and the Binge Code by Alison Kerr. Also the Hungry Brain by Stephan Guyenet. There is no easy button or pill I know to take but Alison Kerr offers some good strategies. But yes, lots of people find the impulse or urge to satisfy cravings immediately despite the pain of regret and shame and health issues they face as a consequence. There are people on here that understand and can be a virtual support friend.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    edited November 2017
    Don’t dwell on it and move forward. Do an extra long/intense workout after the food digests. Drink lots of water. Keep lots of low-cal snacks around so if you feel like you can’t stop, you can at least limit the calories you will consume (eating lots of snap peas or mushrooms or carrots or celery or whole grain crackers or whatever works for you). Just some ideas. I know it’s hard but take it one day at a time, one meal at time. Eventually it won’t be as hard and one setback one seem so devastating. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You could plan balanced meals you want to eat and stop buiyng foods that are not on the plan. And please stop the idea of "recovering"; I think you mean "punishment", which is exactly what you do to set yourself up for a binge. Stop that.

Keep in mind that the more you fear and demonize things you like, the more you'll desire them. When you try to restrict youself completely, even the smallest slip will mean "failure", and when you've already failed, what's the point in not failing completely? In order to "fix" this, you need to work on your black/white, all-or-nothing attitude, and see things for what they are, and what they do, over time. Will a cookie hurt you? No. Will thousands of calories in cookies and chips every day for weeks and months hurt you? Yes.
  • samikeith
    samikeith Posts: 6 Member
    Eat one thing and wait 15 mins. Your brain hasn't responded to the food in your stomach and it will take time.

Eat one thing at a time.

Grab one snack and organise it on a plate or a bowl. Something to slow down the process of just shoving the food in your mouth.

Then have a small cup of water.

Wait 15 mins and see if you need another snack or food.

I usually drink tea and it really helps my stomach digest food nicely.
    No more belly aches
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    This morning I woke up and went to a coffee shop and ate a giant chocolate chip cookie. Then I ate another one. Then I went home and ate a box of crackers and a bag of chips. I feel disgusting and demoralized. I can’t even work out now because my stomach hurts so bad. What should I do? How do I stop this from happening?

I teach at a university and one of the courses I teach (and a concentration in my program) is on eating disorders. There is a book called "Overcoming Binge Eating" by Christopher Fairburn who is probably the worlds leading expect on treating eating issues. I do not know the man I just have used his research for 10 years in my classes. So in others words I gaining nothing form posting.

I have been working with people for over 20 years who struggle with your kind of issue and one thing I know is support is helpful and self help is possible depending on severity and how long it's been in your life. The book is easy to read and might give you some solid insights.

John
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    pqumhk03ud0a.gif

self explanatory