My weight has plateaued.

Options
I have been eating at a 2,900 calorie surplus for a couple weeks now in order to put on weight and to bulk, but my weight doesn't seem to be going up at all anymore in fact I don't really think it has gone up that much from the start. My weight has allways fluctuated between 8 stone 11 and 9 stone 4. And lately my weight is still dropping to the same low in mornings and reaching the same highs in the evenings. Should I increase my calorie intake by 250 again? At first it was quite a struggle eating at 2,900 calories and now it seems to be really easy before this I was eating at about 2,600 and I was never putting on weight eating at that amount.

Replies

• kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    If you've been really eating 2900 calories and you haven't gained weight after 2-3 weeks, that's a sign that you're at maintenance. I would increase by 250 calories only if your new to lifting...if you have a few years under your belt, then 150-200 calories over your maintenance should be fine. I am surprised that you consider 2900 calories a lot of food, I am currently eating at 2900 calories and it feels not enough lol. The only suggestion I would give you if food is too much for you is have high caloric drinks (chocolate Milk, orange juice for example) or add some oil or butter to your veggies, peanut butter, candies, dried fruits are also high in calories, but have low volume.

I'm only 5ft5 though and I weigh 57kg that's why it's probably a lot to me but at first I struggled eating this amount of calories but lately I feel fine and like I could be eating more so I do think my body has gotten used to eating at this level now. And I've been lifting for about a year properly now too.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are still going up on your lifts, I wouldn't be too concerned what the scale says. That being said, adding another 250 is certainly fine.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would add another 250 calories, it is not at all unusual for a male to maintain at 2900, especially if relatively active. I was maintaining on that for a period of time when active and I am a female, although I weighed about 7 Ibs more than you at the time. Just add more of the calorie dense foods like peanut butter, full fat dairy or even treats you enjoy if it comes down to it.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Okay then thanks I'll try upping my calories by 250 I think then and see how that goes. I was on 2640 cals and maknting weight then I upped my calorie to 2940 and I still seem to be mainting the same weight as I was when I was on 2640 but I am lifting heavier now too.