Maintaining while breastfeeding

Options
Are any of you breastfeeding? I'm very close to my goal weight and I'm at a loss as to how many calories to set maintenance to as I've lost 3.4kg in FOUR DAYS without even trying very hard. My bub is now 8.5 months old so we're really only at the start of our breastfeeding journey and I really don't want my weight to jo-jo.

Replies

• luciegumise
    luciegumise Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey lovely I’m breastfeeding my daughter who has just turned five months- lost baby weight by month 4 and just started using mfp to keep myself steady and settled xx
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me it was trial and error. I used a calorie calculator and added about 300-500 cals in the earlier days... Then adjusted as time went on.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am, but my nursling is two. I've been maintaining since July. I used a TDEE calculator and logged weight daily in Libra to find my best calorie total. I don't eat back exercise calories, lift heavy three times a week and do two days of cardio. I eat low carb and feel great around 1940cal/day. I've lost about three pounds since i started maintaining, so I need to adjust a bit more. Trial and error is all you really can do!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs while breastfeeding. He’s almost 3 now so he doesn’t nurse anymore but like others said it was trial and error. If I lost too quickly, I would eat more. If my weight loss seemed to stall, I’d decrease some calories. But remember that it’s normal for weight to fluctuate a lot so just because you lose 3 lbs one week doesn’t necessarily mean you’re under eating... you could end up not losing anything the following week doing everything the same. So you need to look at trends, not just a single week.
  • Jehold
    Jehold Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I believe you loose 25 calories per ounce of breast milk. Eating a small healthy snack while feeding can help.