Should I enter exercise on fitness pal if

Options
trib49
trib49 Posts: 1 Member
I’ve synced it with Fitbit- is that double counting as it’s part of your step total? Sorry, a stupid question but I don’t want to start off thinking I’ve got way more calories left than I should! Chin chin!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    It isn't double counting. However, it can mess with your Fitbit adjustment. It's best to let your Fitbit take care of everything.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Unless you do an activity that is non step related then no, you don't need to log that activity on MFP.
    The rule of thumb is log your food on MFP and your workouts on Fitbit.
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I've synced with map my run and just completed my first walk and i saw that it gave me extra 80 calories for 8000 steps other than my walk calories but i took those steps while working out, why the extra calorie?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've synced with map my run and just completed my first walk and i saw that it gave me extra 80 calories for 8000 steps other than my walk calories but i took those steps while working out, why the extra calorie?

Since this is topic regarding Fitbit sync - do you mean you also have a Fitbit sync, and that 80 calories is on a line called Fitbit Adjustment?

Lack of info means lack of good answer.
  • heybales
    Options
    trib49 wrote: »
    I’ve synced it with Fitbit- is that double counting as it’s part of your step total? Sorry, a stupid question but I don’t want to start off thinking I’ve got way more calories left than I should! Chin chin!

If you want your friends list to see your workout - just make a wall post about it, chance to provide more useful info about it anyway.

Fitbit is a replace only process, it can't add to - as others mentioned, no risk of double counting unless you entered 4 am instead of 4 pm.

But really no reason, unless you have a more accurate calorie burn than Fitbit could do, which could be easily true depending on workout.
    But Fitbit's exercise Diary is usually better for review anyway, besides direct entry on Fitbit allows changing calories, but leaving steps or HR info shown for the workout.
    Whereas a synced in workout is purely calories.
    Unless you have an Activity Record from the device you leave in place to view those stats, which is fine too.
  • kakaovanilya
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Since this is topic regarding Fitbit sync - do you mean you also have a Fitbit sync, and that 80 calories is on a line called Fitbit Adjustment?

No I synced mapmyrun with mfp and when I checked out today's exercise on mfp, I saw there was additional 80 calories for 8000 steps other than the calories I burned during my walk but those steps belongs to my walk. Sorry for my english but I hope I explained myself.
  • heybales
    Options

No I synced mapmyrun with mfp and when I checked out today's exercise on mfp, I saw there was additional 80 calories for 8000 steps other than the calories I burned during my walk but those steps belongs to my walk. Sorry for my english but I hope I explained myself.

Ok, because you can also sync MMR along with Fitbit syncing, it's not one or the other, it could be one and the other.

Viewing this on App or website?
    Where exactly are you looking that says 8000 steps has a calorie value of 80 on a single line?

Are you perhaps looking at the daily values of eaten, exercise, remaining?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It would be an extremely crappy program if it double counted calories and no one would use it.
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    Unless you do an activity that is non step related then no, you don't need to log that activity on MFP.

What does that mean? You seem to be implying that non step related activities are double counted which in not correct.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

What does that mean? You seem to be implying that non step related activities are double counted which in not correct.

I mean any other exercise ie swimming/biking wont be double counted but recording any work out step related could be double counted ie walking/running. Its how I always worked it and I'm pretty sure that information came from the Fitbit group help on here (it was a long time ago so I could be hazy on that!). The calories burned should be the similar at the end of each day with MFP and Fitbit if they are synced with each other. Probably with having the negative adjustment box checked it wont double count it, but for me personally I wanted to be sure I wasn't over estimating any calorie burns.

Heybales is the knowledgable one in regards to anything Fitbit related so listen to him :smile:
  • kakaovanilya
    Options

Ok, because you can also sync MMR along with Fitbit syncing, it's not one or the other, it could be one and the other.

Viewing this on App or website?
    Where exactly are you looking that says 8000 steps has a calorie value of 80 on a single line?

Are you perhaps looking at the daily values of eaten, exercise, remaining?

I am viewing this on MFP App. Yes, steps has a calorie value on a single line. I will attach a screenshot
  • kakaovanilya
    Options
    phvpfhb6h5di.png
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I mean any other exercise ie swimming/biking wont be double counted but recording any work out step related could be double counted ie walking/running. Its how I always worked it and I'm pretty sure that information came from the Fitbit group help on here (it was a long time ago so I could be hazy on that!). The calories burned should be the similar at the end of each day with MFP and Fitbit if they are synced with each other. Probably with having the negative adjustment box checked it wont double count it, but for me personally I wanted to be sure I wasn't over estimating any calorie burns.

Heybales is the knowledgable one in regards to anything Fitbit related so listen to him :smile:

This is how I've always done it. Walking/running I just let FitBit figure it out - but when I ride a stationary bike, do circuit training, etc - I log those separately. FitBit knew I was doing something, but it wasn't sure what, so this gives it enough information to then provide an accurate update back to MFP for my overall adjustment.

The other thing that might be helpful for OP and others is that FitBit isn't only telling MFP about your exercise. It is reporting all day long about your activity and total calories burned, and the adjustments you see are a true up of what MFP thought you'd burn in a day, based on what settings you chose during set up, and then what FitBit says you actually burned. So it may seem like your adjustment is high or low for the actual steps during a period of time, but it is an adjustment based on the full days worth of activity.
  • heybales
    Options

I think you spoke correctly, your complete sentence spelled out what you were speaking to - logging on MFP - the title of the topic. And when it could be useful to do so.

The message of the topic asked about double counting calories as the reason for logging or not logging, you didn't seem to be touching on that.

You provided more info the OP didn't even realize was important to know - at least that's very likely and what I'd assume since obviously new to the whole thing.

I figure having more knowledge shouldn't be a detriment.

The Negative adjustment won't help if you log on MFP at say am instead of pm the workout occurred - you will still get double calorie count.

Only thing negative does is when this happens, you still get an adjustment that goes below 0.

Say Fitbit 1000 - 1200 MFP estimated (or MFP 1000 - 200 logged workout) = neg 200.

With Neg adj enabled, you'd get that neg 200 applied to eating goal, without it, 0.

Base eating goal 1600 + Adj -200 = 1400 new eating goal.
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This is how I've always done it. Walking/running I just let FitBit figure it out - but when I ride a stationary bike, do circuit training, etc - I log those separately. FitBit knew I was doing something, but it wasn't sure what, so this gives it enough information to then provide an accurate update back to MFP for my overall adjustment.

The other thing that might be helpful for OP and others is that FitBit isn't only telling MFP about your exercise. It is reporting all day long about your activity and total calories burned, and the adjustments you see are a true up of what MFP thought you'd burn in a day, based on what settings you chose during set up, and then what FitBit says you actually burned. So it may seem like your adjustment is high or low for the actual steps during a period of time, but it is an adjustment based on the full days worth of activity.

I got ya now. You're talking about when you manually log some non-step related activities in FitBit. That's what threw me.
  • heybales
    Options
    phvpfhb6h5di.png

Anyone using MapMyRun or Walk?

Does it have option to be used like an activity tracker now, just leave it on all day to track steps and distance, and it provides it's own daily calorie burn?

@kakaovanilya
    So did you input the 50 min run yourself for 246 cal?

If you hold on the MapMyRun entry line, you should get option to view details - time of sync, calories at time, adjustment info.
    What does that show?

It's looking like it's doing exactly what an activity tracker sync would do.

• kakaovanilya
    Options
    phvpfhb6h5di.png

Does it have option to be used like an activity tracker now, just leave it on all day to track steps and distance, and it provides it's own daily calorie burn?

@kakaovanilya

If you hold on the MapMyRun entry line, you should get option to view details - time of sync, calories at time, adjustment info.
    What does that show?

I just checked the app but i didn't see an option like an activity tracker. The app wasn't on all day, i opened it when i went for a walk. I didn't put the 50 min walk, my mfp app and map my run app is synced so it appeared automatically when i ended my workout on the app. I clicked on the map my run line and it says i use under armour to track my daily activity but i just can't see an option like that on map my run app. I also checked my phone's health app and it says 8800 steps. The app somehow tracks it i guess.
  • heybales
    Options
    phvpfhb6h5di.png

@kakaovanilya

What does that show?

I just checked the app but i didn't see an option like an activity tracker. The app wasn't on all day, i opened it when i went for a walk. I didn't put the 50 min walk, my mfp app and map my run app is synced so it appeared automatically when i ended my workout on the app. I clicked on the map my run line and it says i use under armour to track my daily activity but i just can't see an option like that on map my run app. I also checked my phone's health app and it says 8800 steps. The app somehow tracks it i guess.

When you have MFP told to use something else as source for steps - that is the option to use it as activity tracker.

The fact MMR doesn't have an option to actually turn it into an activity tracker - just means you are getting messed up math potentially.

In this case, since the same owner of both apps - they have tried to do the math for so many steps is included in a selected MFP Activity level.

So you got enough steps outside of exercise that you went slightly above the level you selected, enough to get 78 extra calories.
    It is NOT counting the run, that's considered extra.

So it is working correctly in your case.

The line about Adjustment, Ayarlama, should be able to be pressed and held to get option for more detail. Maybe, that's where other trackers, except Apple syncs, have the details hidden to actually do math with if needed.