To cleanse or not to cleanse?

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your question is not stupid but the idea of a "cleanse" is. Read the sticky posts on this forum, set a reasonable (not extreme) nutrition and fitness plan, and follow it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A local store (“Hemptations”) hoping to cash in on the legalization of cannabis this coming summer also sells knives, vapes, bongs, fuzzy theme blankets and a cleanse.

My theory is that after a night of indulgence followed by munchies, the indulgee might want to purge the nights excess.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    (For my last colonoscopy, the anesthesiologist let me stay awake enough to get a glimpse of my colon on the monitor. It was pink, and clean and shiny. Cool!)
    Mine showed two partially digested Big Macs, and a hamster. :o

and now i have eminem in my head. . .
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Detoxes are just a waste of money

Not if you have a hamster up there (I hope the poor thing was still alive).
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Detoxes are just a waste of money

Not if you have a hamster up there (I hope the poor thing was still alive).
    Gosh I hope the poor thing wasn't alive. Poor thing would have been traumatised which ever entrance it used to get to the colon
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    jinxxxfit wrote: »
    I usually shower after my fitness journey, not before.

Lol I’m sorry I was talking about cleanse as in detoxing the body

I meant it as a lighthearted way of saying that I have a low opinion of the whole concept. The body is constantly working to cleanse itself. The only way toxins build up is if you are taking in more toxins than it can handle in a short time. A prime example of this is alcohol. Consume a little and the body handles it quickly. Consume a lot and you find yourself driving the wrong way down the freeway. But it doesn't take some special detox died. You just have to cut back on alcohol for a few hours. There's no reason to think other toxins are any different.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Maintaining a healthy and varied population of gut bacteria is very important. Cleanses tend to damage that population. Cleanses are, in general, a bad idea. Save the cleansing for your post-50 decennial colonoscopies.

(For my last colonoscopy, the anesthesiologist let me stay awake enough to get a glimpse of my colon on the monitor. It was pink, and clean and shiny. Cool!)

Thank the Lord I was fast asleep for the duration. I got to see pictures afterwards and that was plenty enough for me! Now to just start that scrapbooking project. . . . .
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jinxxxfit wrote: »
    ... But the question that’s on my mind is do you absolutely have to cleanse before you start your fitness journey!?

The 70+ pounds I've lost without a "cleanse" or other magic solutions say no. Eat good food, stay away from mind-altering substances, and you'll be fine.

• jinxxxfit
    jinxxxfit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all lol and a I’m laughing at the hamster comment