ROTATOR CUFF SURGERY - KEEP UP THE MUSCLE TONE

Options
2»

Replies

• Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Sorry about your injury but your recovery will probably take longer than you think.

I've had 2 rotator cuff surgeries- one in both shoulders but neither was as serious as the one you are going to have.

In each case, it took about 3 months before I could take the sling off to begin PT which lasted about 3 months more, when I could begin to move the shoulder again w/o major pain or stiffness. However, I did not regain full range of motion and strength w/o pain in one shoulder for a YEAR and 2 years in the other!

We're all different and maybe your recovery will be quicker but whatever you do, do not rush your recovery or you may reinjure the shoulder which may require further surgery.

BTW, I was 64 when I had the 2nd rotator cuff surgery. I'm 67 now. I had no difficulty regaining my strength and "tone" following the surgeries BUT I was very patient w/my recovery and did not attempt any serious lifting until the shoulder fully healed and felt strong enough to do it.

FYI, I'm 158# down from 196 at about 12% BF down from +20% (based on DXA and hydro) and I can lift weight (including OHP) at the advanced and elite levels (depending on the lift) as compared w/other men my age and weight based on the Strength Levels website database.

The key to full recovery is to be PATIENT!!! It sounds like having patience may be be the most difficult part of recovery for you.

Good luck!

It encourages me to know that if you, at your age was able to gain the tone and strength back, I can also get it back after the surgery and rehab B) . Because I want to get back into training SO BAD, I will, for the first time in my life I believe, follow Dr's instructions to the "T". :#
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    I am going to have surgery on my left rotator cuff also but I am NOWHERE NEAR as fit as you. Two of my tendons detached but have not retracted and my doc said I'll be in a sling for 4 to 6 weeks and then at least 10 weeks of PT 2x/week. You're in amazing shape so I'm sure your recovery will be much easier. Good luck! :)
  • bonitabrooklynbomb
    Options
    Btw... I keep looking at your photo. How the heck are you 53??? :o You look amazing!!! :)
  • Schila64
    Options
    Btw... I keep looking at your photo. How the heck are you 53??? :o You look amazing!!! :)
    Lol ... thank you !!!
  • Schila64
    Options
    I am going to have surgery on my left rotator cuff also but I am NOWHERE NEAR as fit as you. Two of my tendons detached but have not retracted and my doc said I'll be in a sling for 4 to 6 weeks and then at least 10 weeks of PT 2x/week. You're in amazing shape so I'm sure your recovery will be much easier. Good luck! :)
    I’m terrified of the time I’ll be out after the surgery . I’ll have to work real hard on the Nutrition part ,. I’m positive that I’ll bounce back . Good luck with yours
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

I don’t know the answer for you, but will say I had arthroscopic surgery on my hip to repair a tear. Recovery took a year. Seriously. Actually I was in pain for over a year. They also told me I needed surgery on my shoulder for a partially torn rotator cuff. I could not move my right arm through a normal range of movement to the side and was in constant pain. I declined the surgery though after my hip fiasco. (Not suggesting you do as I don’t know your case, just saying what happened to me).

I began individual sessions of reformers pilates with a highly skilled trainer who recovered from her own injuries with pilates. I credit her for both getting rid of my hip pain and rehabilitating my shoulder. I now have full range of motion in my shoulder and am pain free, which is all I wanted. Of course, the tear is still there, but I worked around it. I will never be a tennis pro though. Lol.

In your recuperation, I strongly recommend finding a skilled pilates teacher that knows how to rehabilitate. That is the only advice I have to give.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I tore my rotator cuff a few years ago. but I didn't need surgery. the gym owner/ personal trainer gave me some exercises to do. I think it was stretches. I wish I could help you more. take it easy when you start back and are you sure your 53 I would of never guessed you were that old
  • Schila64
    Options
    I tore my rotator cuff a few years ago. but I didn't need surgery. the gym owner/ personal trainer gave me some exercises to do. I think it was stretches. I wish I could help you more. take it easy when you start back and are you sure your 53 I would of never guessed you were that old

Yes I’m 53 ... that is for sure ...but wait ... is 53 “ THAT OLD ?” LOL

• Schila64
    Options
    UPDATE
    It's been 60 days after my RC Surgery. Dr. took the sling completely off last week. Dr and PT are impressed on the way that I've healed. Already lifting my arm all the way up. No pain whatsoever. They don't even know how to treat me but they are being very cautious. He said that in 2 more weeks I'm able to start lifting light weights. Not even getting physical therapy. Only once every two weeks. I'm very happy.
  • Burandt80
    Burandt80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had rotator cuff surgery 2 months ago and I am doing PT 3 days a week. The doctor gave me the green light to jog on the treadmill so I have been taking advantage of that. ( No sprints of course) I only had 1 anchor put in and cleaning up the extra bone shavings around it. Hang in there it will get better.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This is SUCH great info, thanks!
  • Schila64
    Options
    UPDATE~
    After my RC surgery, I only did like 2 PT. Doctors and therapist were impressed on my recuperation. The therapist just couldn't believe how well I was. I'm back at the gym doing shoulders and lifting up to 15 lbs . I feel great and no pain. Attached is a recent picture of where I am right nowjnbqu6atpu1b.png
    g0v4m4k1vvcj.png
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That is so amazing! I was chatting with a guy that had rotator cuff surgery 7 months ago and is just now starting to feel back to normal.
  • Schila64
    Options
    That is so amazing! I was chatting with a guy that had rotator cuff surgery 7 months ago and is just now starting to feel back to normal.
    Thanks. I was very scared when I went into this. I'm glad it's over. :)