Does PegLyte have calories?

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
Having a colonoscopy tomorrow and have to drink PegLyte. I'm logging it. In the database, there's an entry that has nothing, but I found one on another site that lists it as having 3875 calories for 4L. There's, of course, nothing on the bottle it comes in regarding nutrition other than ingredients.

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I just looked at the ingredients in it, and I honestly can't see how it would have anything but negligible calories.

Sorry you have to go through that, but I do have to say that a colonoscopy is the best nap you'll ever have. The prep is just awful, though.
  • zyxst
    Options
    I just looked at the ingredients in it, and I honestly can't see how it would have anything but negligible calories.

Sorry you have to go through that, but I do have to say that a colonoscopy is the best nap you'll ever have. The prep is just awful, though.

Thanks. Was wondering about the sodium content, too, since I have HBP.

And I don't get to sleep through my procedure. I get drugged just enough to be "pliable".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Thanks. Was wondering about the sodium content, too, since I have HBP.

And I don't get to sleep through my procedure. I get drugged just enough to be "pliable".

They don't give you that amnesia drug? Oh, that's awful.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I think it's the amnesia drug (twilight sleep) that makes you "drugged just enough to be pliable". You're not out, but you don't remember what happened because the drug messes with your memory storage. As far as I know, using an amnesia drug is pretty standard for colonoscopies - I got one when I had mine, as well as during my cataract surgeries.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Wow...drugs.....in the uk you are wide awake....absolutely nothing given to you.

That gives a whole new meaning to "lie back and think of England".

There's two kinds of colonoscopies: one that uses a shorter scope that has to be repeated every 5 years over here, and another that uses a longer scope that has to be repeated every 10 years (because it's more thorough). I think the short one is done over here wide awake with an optional relaxant, but the long one is done with twilight sleep.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    What my doctor called "twilight" anesthesia is great for a colonoscopy. You recover much more rapidly and have less of an anesthesia hangover. You are unlikely to remember or feel much of anything. I asked my dr to let me watch on the monitor so I did get a glimpse of my innards but just a glimpse. For the most part, I was out of it.

As for logging calories, etc. during the days of prep -- fuhgeddaboutit! Just make sure to keep hydrated. Stock the house with plain chicken broth and other clear liquids. And buy high quality, fluffy toilet paper. You'll be happy you did.
  • zyxst
    Options
    What my doctor called "twilight" anesthesia is great for a colonoscopy. You recover much more rapidly and have less of an anesthesia hangover. You are unlikely to remember or feel much of anything. I asked my dr to let me watch on the monitor so I did get a glimpse of my innards but just a glimpse. For the most part, I was out of it.

As for logging calories, etc. during the days of prep -- fuhgeddaboutit! Just make sure to keep hydrated. Stock the house with plain chicken broth and other clear liquids. And buy high quality, fluffy toilet paper. You'll be happy you did.

I'm bypassing Jell-O. I hate the lemon/lime flavors. I have tp in the fridge and Wet Ones near the toilet.
  • zyxst
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

I think it's the amnesia drug (twilight sleep) that makes you "drugged just enough to be pliable". You're not out, but you don't remember what happened because the drug messes with your memory storage. As far as I know, using an amnesia drug is pretty standard for colonoscopies - I got one when I had mine, as well as during my cataract surgeries.

When my husband had his done, he said he was sedated but awake and watching it on the tv.