1st 5K run

Today I'm feeling proud of myself. I completed my 1st 5K Race in 32min. The weather was 39 degrees and raining the whole time. But actually once I began to run I didn't even notice the rain, or the cold for that matter. It only hit me after I finished when I started shivering. What a bunch of great people at this event. Everyone's encouraging you before, during and after the race, there's no time to feel discourage or afraid you might not finish. I can't wait to do my next race in July and possibly train for a 10K in October.

I've found I enjoy running more when I don't have my IPod(listening to music). I tend to listen more to my body without the music distracting me. I also enjoy the scenery around me more.
Does anyone else find this to be true as well?

Replies

• jvball21
    jvball21 Posts: 33
    Today I'm feeling proud of myself. I completed my 1st 5K Race in 32min. The weather was 39 degrees and raining the whole time. But actually once I began to run I didn't even notice the rain, or the cold for that matter. It only hit me after I finished when I started shivering. What a bunch of great people at this event. Everyone's encouraging you before, during and after the race, there's no time to feel discourage or afraid you might not finish. I can't wait to do my next race in July and possibly train for a 10K in October.

I've found I enjoy running more when I don't have my IPod(listening to music). I tend to listen more to my body without the music distracting me. I also enjoy the scenery around me more.
    Does anyone else find this to be true as well?
  • yeahhh!!

Congrats! Have a warm cup of tea!
  • poubre
    poubre Posts: 32
    Congrats on the first 5k! The first one is the hardest. Now, you're experienced :).

As for running, I enjoy running without music as well. I find I enjoy the scenery (even if it is just traffic with a few trees). Plus, it keeps me aware of my surroundings, so I don't get run over :). As for listening to your body, that's a good thing to do, especially as you increase your distance to that 10k.

Keep it up! :)

Philip
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    oh way to go!!!!!!!! very proud of you and giving you a cyber high five!!!!

I agree I used to only run w/ my music but then my first race I had to try and do it w/out one and now...I can't run outside w/ them (which is much much safer!) but if I'm on a treadmil...which is soooo boring I need something...tv or music...lol

hugs and you rock!
    Ali
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Congrats on the 5k!

I've run both ways-with and w/o music. I find the time passes faster if I have music (or a friend to talk to). And I don't really want to listen to my body because it's usually screaming at me to stop! :laugh:

When I run alone with no music I talk to myself and make lists in my head and stuff like that. I gets funny... But I do love running!

julie
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    LOL....that was funny....

"And I don't really want to listen to my body because it's usually screaming at me to stop! "

yes....it does seem to whine alot doesn't it lol...