How many calories do you try to have remaining?

Options
Hi I was just wondering incase of error how many calories do you try to have remaining at the end of the day?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I usually try to leave 100 calorie buffer just in case I'm off on a measurement or have a late-night munchie attack.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Zero... I love to eat...
  • khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to have none remaining. But of course, it's usually slightly off and not exact. I figure any error isn't significant enough to matter. Especially since the foods I eat can easily be calculated, and I input a lot of homemade custom recipes for accuracy vs going with a "generic" listing.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm quite happy to go over 1200 when I've exercised and I know I can but even so if I have got my calories wrong I know it won't be by too much so it doesn't worry me.
  • n3verlettingmyselfgo
    n3verlettingmyselfgo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i always have around 500 remaining :/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    i always have around 500 remaining :/

I am sorry to hear that. If I could take them from you I would. But if you want to solve it, grab a peanut butter jar or some ice cream. You will use it up fairly quickly. That is what I do.
  • StephIntrepid
    StephIntrepid Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I never really like having less than 200 remaining...I guess that's why a food diary works well for me - I just don't like seeing the numbers like that. With that being said, if I want to eat something that I know will put me close or over, I just make sure to get enough exercise to "buy" me more calories.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just wondering incase of error how many calories do you try to have remaining at the end of the day?

Calories...remaining? I...I don't understand this concept.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I try to never have any leftover-I'd rather go over a bit, than come in under.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    None because that is how this website works.
  • jhandur
    jhandur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    None or less than 100. My food calculator is already set on a deficit of 1 lb a week so I eat every calorie and all of my exercise calories.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I intentionally eat my full TDEE or a little above (negative calories!) on lifting days and try to leave 200 or so on rest days, but that doesn't always happen. Love to eat! :blushing:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I like to go over by 1 calorie...
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I try to get to zero. I will not let any calorie go to waste if I can help it.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Calories...remaining? I...I don't understand this concept.

^^
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I get as close as I can to my goal. Right now goal is 1809 yesterday i ate/drank 1823.... I guesstimate high on eaten calories so no concerns with eating too many "accidently"
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Zero. When I was actively losing, I was weighing and measuring everything. So there was no need for a margin of error. The reality is there was still probably some error, but as long as I was losing consistently, I didn't change my intake any from the "goal" amount. Unless I went over of course. :)
  • suibhne
    suibhne Posts: 17
    Options
    Why would you intentionally leave calories on the table every day? I get doing it to even out other days and shoot for a good multi-day average, or doing it to compensate for light- vs. heavy-activity days (only if you're using the TDEE method, not MFP default)...but as an ongoing policy, it seems to defeat the point of MFP. And if you leave a buffer because you're worried that you're habitually underestimating your intake, what makes you so confident you're not overestimating it? ;)
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's a goal, not a limit. Goals are meant to be achieved. I try to get to within about 5% (over or under), but I focus more on the macros than the calorie count.