Are these bars made with natural sugars good if consumed in large amounts.

Options
Hi -

In my local grocery store they sell Pure fruit and nut bars like almond, cashew and date bars or coconut and macadamia nut bars.

They only use natural sugars and each bar contains around 12g of sugar.

Is a diet high in natural sugar OK for someone who already has a high carb, high protein, high fibre diet? (good fats are included)

My refined sugar intake is extremely low on a daily basis and up until recently my sugar intake in general has been very low.

I like these bars and have room calorie wise for them.

Thanks

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    How much is a large amount? If you ate nothing but these bars you would not be doing yourself any favors, not because of the sugar but because you would not be getting enough other foods. Eating one a day or so as part of a balanced diet is fine. 12g is not much, for comparison it's one "carb point" on the diabetic exchange. Even most diabetics could fit one of these bars into a diet pretty easily, and if you are healthy there's no issue here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sugars, "natural" or otherwise, should kept to a limited amount. Sugar is sugar. The exception is fruit because there's not a lot of fructose (fruit sugar) in any normal fruit. It becomes more challenging when you create concentrated fruit (as in smoothies or these bars). If you are metabolically healthy and use your glycogen energy stores regularly, it likely won't be a problem. But, carbs are what has gotten our country sick, and sugar is the primary refined carb at the forefront in the cross hairs.

I don't agree with the bolded. The cantaloupe and watermelon I'm having today contain 61g of sugar, quite a sugar punch for a snack IMO.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    dlp97dlp wrote: »
    Sugars, "natural" or otherwise, should kept to a limited amount. Sugar is sugar. The exception is fruit because there's not a lot of fructose (fruit sugar) in any normal fruit. It becomes more challenging when you create concentrated fruit (as in smoothies or these bars). If you are metabolically healthy and use your glycogen energy stores regularly, it likely won't be a problem. But, carbs are what has gotten our country sick, and sugar is the primary refined carb at the forefront in the cross hairs.

I don't agree with the bolded. The cantaloupe and watermelon I'm having today contain 61g of sugar, quite a sugar punch for a snack IMO.

This is the very reason I asked the question to be honest - I have had many people say to me (and read on here too) that sugar is sugar and there are other better sources of fibre and nutrients etc... others say eat lots of fruit. Health services say max 90g of sugar is 'allowed' for an average person.

Even in this day and age there is significant confusion on food which I am surprised at. I personally think genes play a BIG role in ones long term health especially in later life. But again this is my assumption.

Someone even said if you eat a banana you might as well eat ice cream because of the high sugar content - ice cream is no replacement for fruit of course.

Calorie wise I would like to fit 3 or 4 of these raw fruit and nut bars in - they tend to be pressed and combined by date syrup or other fruit sugars. Problem is 4 of them = 60g of sugar. I just don't feel comfortable consuming that much sugar for some reason. If it was proven not to affect my health in the long term I would eat them everyday no problem. Sugar has always concerned me, nothing else. Probably down to the poor modern day diet high in processed, refined sugars with little nutrients, protein, fibre. And of recent even people questioning natural sugars makes me question them too!

I somehow feel better (psychologically) if i go over my sugar goal due to fruit rather than candy/sweets/ice cream. Even though i know sugar is sugar, at least with fruit I'm getting some added benefits of vitamin and minerals, I can't really pull the fibre card as 800ish grams of melon only has 6g of fibre, not even noteworthy IMO.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

This is the very reason I asked the question to be honest - I have had many people say to me (and read on here too) that sugar is sugar and there are other better sources of fibre and nutrients etc... others say eat lots of fruit. Health services say max 90g of sugar is 'allowed' for an average person.

Even in this day and age there is significant confusion on food which I am surprised at. I personally think genes play a BIG role in ones long term health especially in later life. But again this is my assumption.

Someone even said if you eat a banana you might as well eat ice cream because of the high sugar content - ice cream is no replacement for fruit of course.

Calorie wise I would like to fit 3 or 4 of these raw fruit and nut bars in - they tend to be pressed and combined by date syrup or other fruit sugars. Problem is 4 of them = 60g of sugar. I just don't feel comfortable consuming that much sugar for some reason. If it was proven not to affect my health in the long term I would eat them everyday no problem. Sugar has always concerned me, nothing else. Probably down to the poor modern day diet high in processed, refined sugars with little nutrients, protein, fibre. And of recent even people questioning natural sugars makes me question them too!
    What percentage of your daily calorie intake would be coming from those bars? If you're eating those instead of other foods that would give you other macro/micronutrients, eating four a day might not be the best plan. The sugar in itself isn't the problem, but if it's causing you to not get other nutrients you need, it can become a problem.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The focus on sugar is way excessive, IMO. Better to look at whether you have a balanced, nutrient dense diet, and if items high in sugar are crowding out other things you need: micronutrients, fiber, protein, healthy fats. If you eat something high in added sugar and low in nutrients, I think it can be fine, but I'd not devote a lot of calories to it on an average day (on occasion, sure). If you eat something higher in sugar but also some nutrients that you need (micros and sometimes fiber in fruit, protein and some micros in dairy), I'd think there was some additional room for the item. If your overall diet has plenty of vegetables, protein, and healthy fats, I think there's no need to think about sugar (except that I still wouldn't consume a huge amount of refined grains or added fats, personally).

IMO -- and others might differ -- something like these bars (or a Kind bar or a Quest bar) is kind of in-between fruit and a candy bar. They are higher in calories, but they definitely have nutrients (and a more diverse array of nutrients from the nuts than even fruit). So does it fit? 3-4 bars of about 200 calories would be excessive for me for an item like that, but you may well have many more calories and find that they fit. I'd look less at sugar and more at whether you are getting in a diverse diet with adequate nutrients over all.

Just my 2 cents.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I was told this by a Weight Watchers leader at a Weight Watchers meeting. She said "If you want a candy bar, just substitute it for a fruit, they're both sugar." She didn't just say it once. She really believed it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Sugar IS just sugar, no matter where from. But sugar isn't something to be afraid of. And fruits have other nutrients that you need and are usually lower in calories.
  • dlp97dlp
    dlp97dlp Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Sugar IS just sugar, no matter where from. But sugar isn't something to be afraid of. And fruits have other nutrients that you need and are usually lower in calories.

A lot of the issues I see are people who drink two cans of coke a day , + chocolate bars and before you know it that is 90g plus of refined sugar in those three items alone. It can add up really quickly but in my eyes it is what the sugar is used in, not necessarily the consumption off it. These items nutritionally don't give you much in the way of fibre and protein.

For people who are watching their weight, it is easy to say avoid sugars and that is true, sugar can make you gain weight quicker? For me though I am looking at what foods I can fit into my calorie goals. Ice cream has a low GI index and so does a muffin or doughnut - so I may treat myself every week to something like this.

If I fancy a nice cake from a patisserie it would be a treat and at least the ingredients are better than a can of coke or chocolate bar.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories and it fills you up enough that you aren't going for more food (since foods that are high in sugar but low in protein and fiber would not keep you satisfied for long) then they are fine. I eat Kind bars when I'm in a rush and I'm hungry. They aren't something I'd replace a meal with regularly though but for a snack it's Snack it's ok or even better as a post workout snack. Of course it's better then a snickers bar or something since it has fiber, vitamins, proteins, etc.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

I was told this by a Weight Watchers leader at a Weight Watchers meeting. She said "If you want a candy bar, just substitute it for a fruit, they're both sugar." She didn't just say it once. She really believed it.

This is how I see at it...Sugar is Sugar and if I'm going to eat sugar and fill up my carb meter, it's going to be something I enjoy, definitely not a piece a fruit.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Agree sugar is sugar, however the fruit will also have fiber, electrolytes and vitamins.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

Agree sugar is sugar, however the fruit will also have fiber, electrolytes and vitamins.

The candy bar also likely has vitamins and fiber.