Is 120g of nuts a day bad?

Options
Hi -

I normally eat between 60 and 100g of nuts a day - I know nuts are good but do you still need to watch a saturated fat intake regardless of the source.

Normally I can fit 100g of nuts into my calories and by the end of the day would have consumed on average 10-12g of saturates from all my foods eaten.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Seems like an awful lot of calories to devote to a single food on a daily basis (100 g of nuts have as much as 700 calories, depending on the type of nut). But if you're able to meet your needs for various macro and micro nutrients while doing this, and stay within your calorie goals, I wouldn't worry about the saturated fat in the nuts (which generally have a higher proportion of unsaturated fats, anyway).
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    At least the Danish health authorities state that "a handful" is the ideal consumption of nuts on a daily basis. But I don't know for sure. If it fits your macros I guess I wouldn't worry too much.
  • SteveCarlson1
    SteveCarlson1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Like lynn said - if it fits your macros then don't worry about it. I steer well clear of nuts when I'm trying to lose weight as they are far too nutrient dense and because I like to eat quite a lot, I would either end up hungry or not hitting my macros if I ate them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ton of calories. If they fit in your calories, the amount of sat fat is likely fine, as sat fat recommendations are normally a percentage of calories and they aren't super high in sat fat as a percentage of calories.