Is a steak cooked well done any healthier?

Options
Just curious on this one,

I don't eat much steak - probably once a month but is a medium or well done steak healthier than the other?

I hear about levels of carcinogens increasing when frying or grilling steak for longer periods but i rarely eat fried food so that does not worry me to be honest.

Is it just down to personal preference and taste which leads someone to have it done a certain way?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    dlp97dlp wrote: »
    Just curious on this one,

I don't eat much steak - probably once a month but is a medium or well done steak healthier than the other?

I hear about levels of carcinogens increasing when frying or grilling steak for longer periods but i rarely eat fried food so that does not worry me to be honest.

Is it just down to personal preference and taste which leads someone to have it done a certain way?

IF you burn it brown all the way through, you reduce/change the nutrient profile.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It would definitely save calories, since I would be pitching it out. Although health-wise I would be worse off since my blood pressure would skyrocket after learning somebody ruined a steak by cooking it past medium
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy for the person who ruins my steak by turning it into leather.

Heh. And yes, I agree.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty much personal preference. I used to only order well done (don't shoot me guys, I've changed my ways!) because I hated the possibility of blood being on the plate. As in, at home I would squeeze steak against my plate with a spatula to get the juices out, and I would not eat anything on that same plate. I also drowned the steak in A1- for me, steak was definitely just the delivery device for A1. Then I learned that a lot of restaurants (at least here in the US) will use the older, maybe slightly questionable meat when someone orders well done, because it kills whatever nasties are in there. So I started ordering medium-well, and realized I preferred it. Now I order medium and am usually perfectly happy (still can't handle blood on the plate though. It has to be pink inside, NO red!) And yeah, I admit, as much as I love the taste of a good steak, nothing will pry that A1 one of my hands (I do use less of it though). A1 is also amazing on fries, especially steak fries (those big wedge potato fries) but I digress...

As far as carcinogens go, I haven't heard of that theory but I certainly wouldn't worry about it if you're only eating it once a month.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd rather die early than eat well done steak.