Workout log template

Options
I used "search" but what I found was a few years old...

I'm looking for a template to create a workout log. I'm currently just using a notebook, but as a spreadsheet geek, I wanna do one on Excel. But I'm stumped at what would be the best way to organize the spreadsheet, so I wanted to see if anyone had one that I could take a peek at. (To clarify, I have a routine/plan, I just want to get it into Excel).

Replies

• Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Are you wanting to manipulate the data, or just looking for a format?
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Barfly57 wrote: »
    Are you wanting to manipulate the data, or just looking for a format?

Just a format
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for here. There are a zillion ways to organize data base on what you want to track, how you want to track it, and how you want it to look/layout/read.

You say you have a routine already... can't you just enter it into the spreadsheet, then manipulate the data based on what works and what doesn't work for you?

I feel like I'm missing something here...
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Exercises in column a, starting at a3. Workout days and dates in rows 1/2, starting at b1/b2.
    I do the same workout each day; if you have an a/b or upper/lower workout, you'll need to make separate sections one below the other.
    (I tried to copy mine here, but couldn't figure out how
  • marand94608
    marand94608 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use ExRx.net - Workout Logs

They also have workout routines that you can customize for each body region / muscle and for the types of equipment available at your gym, as well as body weight exercises.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do? Cardio or weights or ...? I log cardio differently than weights. What kind of info are you wanting to track, total time/frequency or certain accomplishments like weight, speed, etc.
  • mbeuchert24
    Options
    Exercises in column a, starting at a3. Workout days and dates in rows 1/2, starting at b1/b2.
    I do the same workout each day; if you have an a/b or upper/lower workout, you'll need to make separate sections one below the other.

I think that is what is stumping me, I have a different workout everyday of the week, but like Monday is the same every week, Tuesday the same every week...etc.
  • mbeuchert24
    Options
    I use ExRx.net - Workout Logs

They also have workout routines that you can customize for each body region / muscle and for the types of equipment available at your gym, as well as body weight exercises.

I'll look into that, thanks!
  • jjpptt2
    edited November 2017
    Options

I think that is what is stumping me, I have a different workout everyday of the week, but like Monday is the same every week, Tuesday the same every week...etc.

Use different tabs/worksheets for each day of the week? Or simply make each day it's own section on the worksheet.
  • mbeuchert24
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What kind of workouts do you do? Cardio or weights or ...? I log cardio differently than weights. What kind of info are you wanting to track, total time/frequency or certain accomplishments like weight, speed, etc.

I do weights & cardio M,W,F and just cardio on Tu & Th...I a different muscle set each M,W,F and I want to track how much weight I'm doing and reps and sets. I'm thinking the cardio isn't as important to track because I can pull that off my fit bit. I really just want to have a more organized way to track my weights instead of just jotting down on a piece of paper.

• jjpptt2
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For reference, here's what mine looks like -

So where I have Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, you could have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... or M/W/F, T/Th
  • mbeuchert24
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    For reference, here's what mine looks like -

So where I have Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, you could have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... or M/W/F, T/Th

That actually helps...I truly was just looking for ideas on a good way to organize the spreadsheet.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I list the dates in col a. Lifts in b c, d, etc. Then each day I enter sets reps, and weight in the appropriate cell. Like 3x10x50#. I don't do every lift every workout, and it's easy to see what I did last time. Its a very concise log. You could make separate columns for sets, reps, weight under each lift, but that gets too fussy for me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Here's a quick shot of my current: it doesn't show the formulas I use for certain calculations, but there it is. I basically have one worksheet per cycle. On the right are rough estimates of 1RMs per the weights/reps I did that week. Note that the yellow highlighted portions are sessions I've completed - if the estimated 1RM is white, it's just using default data, so it's not accurate. The other 2 columns all the way to the right are where I calculate plates for the barbell, so I don't have to figure things out while I'm at the gym.

051vvulsv7a2.png
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I use the JEfit app... very easy to create workouts and a nice database of exercises to choose from. Routine takes me from exercise to exercise automatically and gives me my 1RM and you can look at the daily logs or create reports as well. I'm kind of a spreadsheet geek, but the app is so much easier to use and has a rest timer, etc. that I utilize.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Here's a copy of my excel book. Granted, it's a lot of work to use a new sheet for every workout, but it's something I don't mind doing. Currently in week 4 of cycle 7 of Wendler 5/3/1. I like to have a little bit of basic info, such as training date/day, warmup/cooldown, and body weight. In case I switch programs, I like to have the program I'm running listed too. I use formulas to fill in my reps/weights for the main lift for that day

naculp's 2017 Lifting Log (Dropbox link)