What type of oatmeal is best in terms of GI index / nutritional value.

Options
Partly on behalf of a family member, they want to know which type (cut / process) of oats are healthiest in terms of GI index.

On my part what is the best nutritionally. I eat 100g uncooked weight morning and another 50/100g in the evening everyday pretty much.

I don't snack on anything else really as calorie wise I tend to fit it in during the 3 meals.

Want to try steel cut oats myself as they taste nuttier?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    All oats - - instant, rolled or old fashioned and steel cut - - are the same in terms of nutritional value.

They are just processed differently which changes the taste/texture of the oats when cooked and alters the time required to cook them.

I prefer the taste/texture of steel cut, which takes the longest to cook, over instant and rolled/old fashioned which taste mushy to me but I'll cook instant when I'm camping or just in a hurry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste/texture of steel cut, but I don't think the nutritional value is going to be meaningfully different.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Steelcut is slightly better in terms of gi but obviously they are the same nutritionally
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Just a thought. Look at oat bran. Consistency is different, nutrients a little different. Might be good for a small change occasionally.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Regular oats, not instant or those containing extra sugar etc.
  • tifmcg96
    tifmcg96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    FYI the make 3 minute steel cut oats now for all steel cut fans. It’s been a lifesaver.
  • dlp97dlp
    dlp97dlp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    tifmcg96 wrote: »
    FYI the make 3 minute steel cut oats now for all steel cut fans. It’s been a lifesaver.

could you share this with me - one thing that has put me off steel cut is the time needed but 3 minutes no problem!