800 calories a day...

Options
...so my question is if I am consuming around 800 calories a day (852 yesterday) and then I go running after and burn off 571 calories from running later that night around 6:30 am I able to eat something else healthy like a banana or pb&j on wheat bread without wrecking my 800 goal or do those calories count and go above my 800.

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You should not eat only 800. Type your stats and goals into mpg I bet you get a number like 1800. Eat that. Eat back half your exercise calories.
    Super low calorie is unhealthy lovely things like heart damage ,muscle loss, hair loss, extra injury risk ect.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Yes they count and yes you should be eating more than 800 calories a day unless on a medically supervised weight loss plan.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I want to address your post in two ways:

1. 800 calories a day is not sustainable for anyone, especially if you are a more active person. You will feel awful and lose weight too fast. Please don't attempt this low of a daily intake.

2. Once you pick a more realistic/safe calorie limit, then yes, the MFP tracker does expect you to "eat back" your exercise calories. MFP calculates your daily calorie goals based on your "non-exercise" activity. For example, I've selected "Lightly active" for my daily activity level due to the nature of my job and hobbies. Combined with my weight loss goals that gives me a daily target of 1960 cals. However, if I exercise and burn 200 calories exercising, MFP adds that to my daily total and now my target is 2160 cals. Now, I usually don't eat all my exercise calories back, because most calorie-burn trackers (on treadmills and such) tend to overestimate calories burned, but I do eat back probably 50% of them.

But yeah for real, 800 calories isn't enough, you're going to fail if you persist at that number.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Why would you do something like this deliberately.

When I was in my late 20s I did it accidentally for a few months(due to not being mindful of my eating... I just forgot to eat) It was pretty bad. My performance fell off, I ended up binging/overeating and It was just bad all the way around.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 800 calories/day on the a regular basis, you won't have to worry about it long...running will slowly become more difficult and eventually (I imagine) impossible as your muscles break down.

If you're doing a 5:2 type of thing and your 800 calorie days are your low days for the week, then yes...you need to net the 800 calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,151 Member
    Options
    You are a male eating 800 calories and worrying about whether eating more is a bad idea. Eating 800 calories is a bad idea. 1500 is the minimum for a male to get the minimum nutrients needed, and at that, it would require careful planning. You should be eating far more than 800 calories. As it is you are not helping your health issues, you are making them worse. Enter your information in the goal setter here, set the goal loss to no more than 1 pound a week unless you are officially obese, and eat that calorie goal.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I never know what to do with these kind of posts? Are we supposed to flag them, report them or what?
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I never know what to do with these kind of posts? Are we supposed to flag them, report them or what?

Best we can do is try to inform. But it's up to the OP to read, understand and make the decision.

OP, you should really up your goal. 1500 is MINIMUM for a male. Unless on a supervised diet (if you are extremely obese). Figure out your TDEE, weigh your intake with a food scale, log accurately, and lose weight in a way that is HEALTHY, and will not cause long term damage. Take care.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

They aren't promoting VLCD just indicating that is what htey are doing so flagging it may not get the desired results.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There's a reason that lower than NET 1200 for women (and NET 1500 for men) isn't recommended.

The human body needs a certain amount of calories and nutrition to function properly.

Eating so few calories for a prolonged period of time can result in organ damage, hair loss, exhaustion/fainting, muscle loss, and gallstones. Not to mention higher chances of getting mentally burnt out and bingeing, returning to your previous way of eating and regaining the all weight you lost.

Is it really worth it?

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

They aren't promoting VLCD just indicating that is what htey are doing so flagging it may not get the desired results.

Someone will come along and flag it if/when they start promoting the diet....

Hopefully by then the OP will have gotten the appropriate feedback.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Even with PB&J you are on a one way ticket to bad timesville.

What is with all these people who think basically eating nothing is a good idea?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Even with PB&J you are on a one way ticket to bad timesville.

What is with all these people who think basically eating nothing is a good idea?

It drives me absolutely batty. It's #2 on my list of MFP thread pet peeves.

Good thing you don't live in my small town. one of the gyms here is doing a 6 week program "total transformation" and with this program the goal is to lose 20lbs or 10% BF...and they give you access to the gym, PT (questionable ones) and an eating plan...all for Free...600$ deposit you get back if you achieve the goal...

The eating plan however...I've seen and it's sub 1k, usually around 800...I have a friend who started at 131...and has lost over 10lbs in 4 weeks...it's scary...no added fats in her eating plan...

they asked me if I wanted to do it...*rolls eyes*
  • cyranda63
    cyranda63 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who sometimes thinks someone posts like this to get a rise out of everyone?

Nope, you are not...

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    ...so my question is if I am consuming around 800 calories a day (852 yesterday) and then I go running after and burn off 571 calories from running later that night around 6:30 am I able to eat something else healthy like a banana or pb&j on wheat bread without wrecking my 800 goal or do those calories count and go above my 800.

What figure did MFP suggest when you filled in your profile to get started? Mine is 1960 per day at the moment, and more if I exercise.
This discussion has been closed.