Anyone up for a group January whole 30?

Options
Hi everyone!
So the past two years it’s been my goal to kick January off by doing the whole 30. Unfortunately I make it about 6 hours into new years day and cave. I was thinking this year, if I know some people (even virtually) who are also doing it, maybe we could support each other, do some group meal planning, share receipts, motivate each other, etc. Would anyone be up for this?

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Whole30 is an unnecessary gimmick. There's no reason to cut out sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy to lose weight. Whole30 says don't count calories and don't weigh yourself, which ... why not??? Clearly it's too restrictive for you if you aren't able to stick with it. MyFitnessPal is a calorie counting site and it works.

The diet ranked last among 38 popular diets evaluated by U.S. News & World Report in its 2016 Best Diets Rankings; one of the raters, dietician Meridan Zerner said: “We want behavioral changes and dietary changes that are slow and progressive and meaningful."[3] David L. Katz said of the diet: “The grouping [of banned foods] is both random, and rather bizarre from a nutrition perspective. If the idea is good nutrition, cutting out whole grains and legumes is at odds with a boatload of evidence.”[1] It was selected as one of the worst health trends for 2013 by Health Magazine.[8] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole30
  • HilaryRI24
    HilaryRI24 Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks.
  • HilaryRI24
    HilaryRI24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jane!!! Totally agree
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    leggup wrote: »
    Whole30 is an unnecessary gimmick. There's no reason to cut out sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy to lose weight. Whole30 says don't count calories and don't weigh yourself, which ... why not??? Clearly it's too restrictive for you if you aren't able to stick with it. MyFitnessPal is a calorie counting site and it works.

The diet ranked last among 38 popular diets evaluated by U.S. News & World Report in its 2016 Best Diets Rankings; one of the raters, dietician Meridan Zerner said: “We want behavioral changes and dietary changes that are slow and progressive and meaningful."[3] David L. Katz said of the diet: “The grouping [of banned foods] is both random, and rather bizarre from a nutrition perspective. If the idea is good nutrition, cutting out whole grains and legumes is at odds with a boatload of evidence.”[1] It was selected as one of the worst health trends for 2013 by Health Magazine.[8] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole30

I guessed you completely missed the memo that clearly states "Whole30 is NOT a diet" part?
    Its only one month and not tough to follow at all. I do it on occasion just for fun. Get the book with recipes or search and pre-plan the meals. Its very easy. Also to me, its not restrictive at all. I still eat all the stuff I do typically on daily basis. I just dont snack on crap like I do now haha :)

They use the word diet on their site. They use the word program more, but they still use "Strip them from your diet completely." A person's diet is what they eat, period. A diet can also mean a restriction (temporary or permanent) in order to lose weight. You do it for fun? What is fun about arbitrarily restricting things like legumes (rich in protein as well as fiber, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, folate, potassium, iron and magnesium).

Whole30 makes many dubious claims as well: Omitting all of these foods and beverages 100% for 30 days will help you eliminate cravings, restore a healthy metabolism, heal the digestive tract, reduce systemic inflammation, and discover how these foods are truly impacting how you look, how you feel, and your quality of life. There is no scientific backing. How exactly does it restore a healthy metabolism? Also-- if your metabolism were truly broken, you would die. Your digestive tract is also not injured and in need of healing. In fact, many digestive issues require additional fiber.. from things like whole grains and legumes.