Exercise help

I have been maintaining 1200 calories for last three weeks; i have lost 6 pounds so far. I have realized that i would need to up this game by doing some exercise. I have gym in my apartment where i plan to use elliptical. I know that the calories lost that is displayed on machine isn’t true. I plan to get fitbit after I lose another 14 pounds as a reward. How does one figure out the real number of lost calories? And how many calories should i eat back?
Thanks guys!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Lots of people begin by eating back 50% of their exercise calories, monitoring their results, and adjusting from there.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    ayshakool wrote: »
    How does one figure out the real number of lost calories? And how many calories should i eat back?

So, as you elude to, the calculated calorie numbers you see - your MFP goal, the calories listed on the nutrition label, the number on the machine, etc. - are all just estimates. Even if you use a HRM it isn't going to be exact. The best answer is trial and error.

For example, if you averaged 1200 calories for the last 3 weeks and lost 6 lbs, that means that based on your RESULTS, you have a TDEE of 2200 calories per day. That is, (6 lbs * 3500 cal/lb / 21 days) + 1200 cal = 2200.

So, lets say that you use the elliptical for 30 minutes a day for 3 weeks and eat an extra 250 calories and still lose 6 lbs. Your TDEE increased to 2450 cal/day. So, you could adjust your deficit accordingly.

But, if you don't want to go to the trouble, just eat half back.