Do any office workers use those little under-the-desk peddlers?

Options
toxikon
toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
Just wondering if anyone has bought one and still regularly uses it. I'm an office fidgeter, always tapping my feet... so I was thinking about buying one of those to at least keep my legs busy and burn an extra few calories throughout the workday. Just looking for some feedback from those who have used them before.

I was thinking about something like this: http://a.co/7qMqIc8

Replies

• lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I bought one about a year or two ago. It sits under my desk at work, pretty much unused. It's good in theory, but I don't think it burns much. I used in a bunch in the beginning, but found that I couldn't really type or talk on the phone while using it, so I kind of gave up. Also, it was hard to keep my desk chair close enough to it without rolling backwards, so I had to keep pulling myself forward. I really ought to move it, but haven't yet. If you have a good set up, it may be worth it, but it wasn't for me. Nowadays, I close my door and do a few sets of push-ups, squats and chair dips during the day.
  • toxikon
    Options
    lisaepell wrote: »
    I bought one about a year or two ago. It sits under my desk at work, pretty much unused. It's good in theory, but I don't think it burns much. I used in a bunch in the beginning, but found that I couldn't really type or talk on the phone while using it, so I kind of gave up. Also, it was hard to keep my desk chair close enough to it without rolling backwards, so I had to keep pulling myself forward. I really ought to move it, but haven't yet. If you have a good set up, it may be worth it, but it wasn't for me. Nowadays, I close my door and do a few sets of push-ups, squats and chair dips during the day.

Thank you! Your experience is exactly my worry. It sounds great in theory but I don't know how well it'd work out in practice.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A bunch of people where I work have those and are using them as part of a research study. I tried to get into the study but they were overwhelmed with people signing up and I couldn't get in. Drat! I'd choose a standing desk, if I had the choice, but I still think an under desk cycle would be nice.
  • prescottgal7
    prescottgal7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't use one of those, but I did recently purchase a desk riser, so I can mix sitting and standing at my desk. I don't think you want to sit all day, under desk peddler or not. Amazon sells basic desk risers fairy reasonably, I fit my 2 monitors, speakers, keyboard etc on it with room to spare. Standing instead of sitting is much better for your body.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I use it when I was doing rehabilitation after my TKA, but I don't have it under my home-desk (I am retired). You would have to peddle your life away in order to burn a decent amount of calories. If you are working it would be difficult to concentrate in the task or talk on the phoned while peddling, at least it would be for me.

The small peddler is now comfortably resting inside my closet because I get a better burn peddling in the recumbent bike at the gym.

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Would it not be a bit distracting for co workers, if you share an office? I'd rather go for a quick walk; that clears my head as well :)
  • toxikon
    Options
    Would it not be a bit distracting for co workers, if you share an office? I'd rather go for a quick walk; that clears my head as well :)

Apparently the one I'm looking at is silent, so noise shouldn't be an issue. I work in a cubicle of 3 people, and if it's under my desk, I don't see why anyone would notice it. :)

I usually use my lunch break to go on a walk outside and listen to my audiobook, but now that we're into the Canadian winter, it's too cold for me. I miss my walks!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get one but was told it didn't really burn many calories.