Walmart is 100% out of cream cheese?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Some dip or appetizer recipes use cream cheese.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use low fat cream cheese for lots of things including cheese sauce for vegetables and love it on celery, although I use the 1/3 less fat for that because it is creamier. I have some frozen and think I will try the protein cheese cake maybe with pumpkin, but need to buy protein powder. Seems like a waste though if I don't like it. I never use supplements normally.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    I use low fat cream cheese for lots of things including cheese sauce for vegetables and love it on celery, although I use the 1/3 less fat for that because it is creamier. I have some frozen and think I will try the protein cheese cake maybe with pumpkin, but need to buy protein powder. Seems like a waste though if I don't like it. I never use supplements normally.

I have purchased individually portioned protein powder at my local health food store - much better trying it out this way instead of buying a huge tub of powder that you hate. Mind you, I purchased one from GNC a few years ago, and returned telling them I didn't like it and they accepted it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I used to live in a small town and yes I've purchased every cream cheese in stock to make cheesecake before. I'm surprised mashed potatoes were the only thing you could think of. Cream cheese goes into a ton of different dips, desserts, and casseroles. Plus, we always stock up on breakfast foods like bagels and cream cheese when family are in town.

I'm just going to leave this here since it's a cream cheese thread: http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/franks-redhot-buffalo-chicken-dip-RE1242-1
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I would never think to put cream cheese in potatoes, haha. I use cream cheese for bagels, truffles, cheesecake, frosting, cheeselogs,

If you like sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving, you really have to try making your sweet potatoes as mashed potatoes with cream cheese and brown sugar. Not exactly low cal but omg delicious and it's a huge hit at our Thanksgiving table. No need for marshmallows either. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    odd
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Is there something special about cream cheese? Our Walmart(s) are often out of random items you would think they would never run out off. Various kinds of yogurts (yoplait 0% flavoured, Oikos 0% greek plain), 1L carton of egg whites, refrigerated jello puddings, Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew flavoured, and on one occasion any kind of Häagen-Dazs ice cream are all items that I've tried to buy at various times and couldn't due to lack of stock.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My husbands family uses cream cheese in mashed potatoes, along with a ton of butter and sour cream and bakes them in a Pyrex baking dish. They are actually quite delicious, but certainly not what most people would assume a shortage of cream cheese would be used for.

Bagel topping, cheesecakes and dips, both sweet and savory, are probably far more common uses.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    My husbands family uses cream cheese in mashed potatoes, along with a ton of butter and sour cream and bakes them in a Pyrex baking dish. They are actually quite delicious, but certainly not what most people would assume a shortage of cream cheese would be used for.

Bagel topping, cheesecakes and dips, both sweet and savory, are probably far more common uses.

There's so many uses for cream cheese. What is carrot cake without the cream cheese frosting? Carrot bread sadness, that's what it is! Dips, cheese cakes, pie filling appetizers (bacon wrapped sausage jalapeno poppers!), and on and on.

Mashed potatoes would be pretty far down the list for many people's idea for a use for cream cheese, though. I wonder why the OP thinks her one and only use for it is the same as everyone else's. Especially when "bagels and cream cheese" are pretty such a breakfast staple that chain restaurants are built around it. Just because she doesn't care for it doesn't mean nobody does it.

ETA: I'm planning on making guava and cream cheese pastries for the office christmas potluck.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Im going to assume all of the desserts is what caused this, pumpkin rolls, cheesecakes, etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town and have learned that you don't wait to buy things you need the week of the holiday. The one local store will be out of something. I started getting stuff for Thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago.
    Substitute for Cream cheese
    Equal parts of cottage cheese, drained, blended with half-and-half or cream + a little butter
    8 oz lower fat cottage cheese 1/4 cup margarine
    Equal amts.. of lower fat (Neufchatel) cream cheese
    Equal parts of ricotta cheese plus plain yogurt
    from GourmetSleuth.com: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/ingredients/detail/cream-cheese#ixzz4zAgFCQdq
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Is there something special about cream cheese? Our Walmart(s) are often out of random items you would think they would never run out off. Various kinds of yogurts (yoplait 0% flavoured, Oikos 0% greek plain), 1L carton of egg whites, refrigerated jello puddings, Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew flavoured, and on one occasion any kind of Häagen-Dazs ice cream are all items that I've tried to buy at various times and couldn't due to lack of stock.

I always assume a truck somewhere got delayed or it's sitting in the back waiting for someone to have a chance to re-stock it. My Wal-Mart was completely out of cream of tartar last week. I can only assume everyone is making meringue for Thanksgiving.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    My Shop Rite is smart. They always fill an end cap with cream cheese at Thanksgiving. I was there this morning and they had loads of the stuff.

This is the first year in a while my family didn't want a cheesecake for dessert, so I wasn't buying any, though.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Our family makes a chili/cream cheese dip every holiday. You take two cans of chili with no beans and heat it up with two packages of cream cheese. Dip with tortilla chips or frito scoops. So yummy!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    A nice little slice of full fat cream cheese to tuck inside your Genoa salami slice before you roll it up and eat it like a little cheese & meat burrito.

I do the same with prosciutto. Yum!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My sister uses cream cheese on bagels regularly. I rarely buy it -- only if I am going to make cheesecake. I would not put it in mashed potatoes (although maybe it's worth a try, dunno). There is a vegetable dish involving broccoli and cauliflower and cheese that my sister normally makes for Thanksgiving that has cream cheese -- I bet lots and lots of Thanksgiving dishes use more cream cheese than people normally do.

Never food shopped (or really shopped at all) in a Walmart, the only Walmarts near me are the small Walmart Express things and inferior to a grocery store. The weird seasonal shortage I notice around here is that they are often out of black-eyed peas on New Year's Eve (which is of course when I think about buying them).
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options
    I bought two 8 oz boxes last week at Walmart to make a cheeseball for tomorrow,