What's the thanksgiving food you skip out on?

Options
Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I plan on skipping out on the turkey this year. After a little thought, I've realized It's never very tasty to me and I'd rather have a double serving of my homemade mashed potatoes and cornbread casserole instead! I'm also making cookie dough bites to take.

By skipping out, I mean avoiding because it's not worth the hype to you and there's other things you'd rather save the 'room' for!

What is it?

Replies

• CindyLouWhoinWhoville
    CindyLouWhoinWhoville Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I will be skipping out on the homemade fried apples. I rather have the yeast rolls and mashed potatoes
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Well, it's just the four of us and we don't have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Since I've been losing weight, I usually skip the cheese my husband gets to have cheese and olives before dinner. I might taste a sliver if he tells me it's an especially good aged provolone. Italians will know the kind I'm talking about.

I love cheese, but I'll save my calories for other things. A taste, if it's worth it, will be just fine.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'll skip the rolls, but if there is cornbread I will have some of that. Everything else if fair game. :D
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not skipping anything because I like everything that's being served this year (unless the stuffing includes gizzards, in which case nothing could make me eat it!) I won't be eating a whole lot though, and will avoid the second serving of stuffing and cranberry sauce that I usually have. I might skip some of the appetizers too or just try a small bit of each rather than graze on it throughout the day (we usually have them on the table from morning until we eat in mid-late afternoon, rather than having an actual breakfast or lunch).
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Most rolls and bread served at Thanksgiving just aren't worth it to me. I can eat bread anytime I want it so if I'm having a special meal that is higher calorie, I'll skip the bread unless it looks particularly unique or delicious.

By the same logic, I'm skipping pre-made dips, chips, crackers, and anything else that is easy to get other times of the year.

Agree with this 100% for myself. I'll just have things i don't get to the rest of the year. Mainly stuffing, sweet potato casserole with toasted marshmallow topping, and eggnog.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'll skip bread, and probably appetizers. I'll only eat cheese if it's really worth eating- i.e. not something I can find in my supermarket. I'll eat as much stuffing as my calorie count will allow!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't really like bread too much so I skip that, in addition to any animal products.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Most rolls and bread served at Thanksgiving just aren't worth it to me. I can eat bread anytime I want it so if I'm having a special meal that is higher calorie, I'll skip the bread unless it looks particularly unique or delicious.

By the same logic, I'm skipping pre-made dips, chips, crackers, and anything else that is easy to get other times of the year.

Agree with this 100% for myself. I'll just have things i don't get to the rest of the year. Mainly stuffing, sweet potato casserole with toasted marshmallow topping, and eggnog.

Oh yes bring on the eggnog!!!!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't like most Thanksgiving food to begin with. I usually just eat turkey, green beans and homemade cranberry sauce. So, I skip all the other stuff for pumpkin pie and alcohol.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I will skip the rolls, but I will have one the day after with leftovers on it :)
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Tough question, probably less mash and more stuffing. I don't like candied yams, and I can live without green bean casserole. Turkey, stuffing, gravy - yep.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Usually I skip dessert since I don't eat sugar or maybe I'll have a tiny bite each of a few things that look good and take the hit. For dinner I will eat as normal dividing the calories out so I can taste everything: 3-4 ounces of turkey & cranberry sauce, 1/4 cup of potatoes and gravy, 1/4 cup of stuffing, 1/4 cup of yams, and a vegetable...don't need the roll. That's not what gets me into trouble. If my nephew-in-law brings some of his yummy egg rolls or bacon wrapped scallops I'll have to try some. He also makes a wonderful lobster bisque that I'd trade in the potatoes for. Since it is going to be potluck, I'm not sure what yummy things will show up, but typically we don't eat a big nighttime dinner after having the large lunch so maybe I'll grab some salad and turkey to go. Drinks is also where I will need to watch it. I rarely drink wine or alcohol now, but usually everyone else is. I'll skip the egg nog for sure, but probably will have something alcoholic to drink. Guess I'll take my sparkling water with me and make a couple low cal mixed drinks. I will log everything. 'Tis the start of the season!
  • amelia66d
    amelia66d Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm the worlds pickiest eater so I skip out on mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing (my family doesn't make mashed potatoes or stuffing anyway).

I only skip these cause I can't stand the taste- everything else is fair game and I don't believe in restriction or counting calories on Thanksgiving:)