does cardio make you hungrier ?

2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Sounds like your body is telling you to eat. Feed it!

But then I go over my TDEE :/

are you gaining weight? If no then you are not going over your TDEE...

If you are hungry it could be what you are eating...

for example maybe more fats are required...more protein...

I am extra hungry after a run day or a dead lift day...so pretty much Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays I am starved...so I eat extra protein.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    edited November 2017
    Oh my how do you do it? I can barely handle 30-35 minutes on the elliptical machine, so boring! Don't burn yourself out by doing crazy long workouts on the machines, you will end up hating it. Of course you will be hungry, you are burning calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    93pear93 wrote: »
    so you are telling that you eat 1200 calories per day and do that cardio?
    whats your weight and height btw ?

Nope. 1200 a day WITHOUT cardio. With cardio , I can eat about 1700 calories a day. 5'2 and 110 pounds

You're at a healthy weight is your goal to maintain your weight? Is 1200 your maintenance calories?

I hope you're not trying to lose weight. And yes if you workout you may feel hungry which is why it's good to like eat back the calories burned, and make sure you're eating a good amount of proteins. I normally eat a protein bar right after working out.

Trying to get back to 108 lbs . I have a really small frame! Honestly , I barely eat any protein ! The only high in protein foods I eat are eggs!
    I'm short as well, and I can tell you 110 is perfectly fine I wouldn't go crazy trying to lose 2 pounds. If you want to tone up your body more having a progress lifting schedule planned out does wonders! If I were you I'd eat at maintenance the calories given my MfP and do a combination of strength training and cardio.

I know its hard to believe , but in my case 2 pounds actually make a difference , especially in my belly ! I actually wish to focus on strength training and yoga , but idk why I am scared to reduce my cardio !

Yep. Very hard to believe. I am 3 inches shorter than you and an extra couple of pounds is not noticable. If you are really concerned eat at maintenance and add a strength training program to build your muscle mass instead. Your stomach will be flatter doing that than trying to lose a couple of pounds.

Also, if you are always so hungry eat more protein. It will help with satiety and help preserve muscle mass.

Nope. 1200 a day WITHOUT cardio. With cardio , I can eat about 1700 calories a day. 5'2 and 110 pounds

You're at a healthy weight is your goal to maintain your weight? Is 1200 your maintenance calories?

I hope you're not trying to lose weight. And yes if you workout you may feel hungry which is why it's good to like eat back the calories burned, and make sure you're eating a good amount of proteins. I normally eat a protein bar right after working out.

Trying to get back to 108 lbs . I have a really small frame! Honestly , I barely eat any protein ! The only high in protein foods I eat are eggs!
    I'm short as well, and I can tell you 110 is perfectly fine I wouldn't go crazy trying to lose 2 pounds. If you want to tone up your body more having a progress lifting schedule planned out does wonders! If I were you I'd eat at maintenance the calories given my MfP and do a combination of strength training and cardio.

I know its hard to believe , but in my case 2 pounds actually make a difference , especially in my belly ! I actually wish to focus on strength training and yoga , but idk why I am scared to reduce my cardio !

Yep. Very hard to believe. I am 3 inches shorter than you and an extra couple of pounds is not noticable. If you are really concerned eat at maintenance and add a strength training program to build your muscle mass instead. Your stomach will be flatter doing that than trying to lose a couple of pounds.

Also, if you are always so hungry eat more protein. It will help with satiety and help preserve muscle mass.

You don't eat meat, seafood, dairy or beans? If not you're cutting out a lot of food groups and should probably be worried about a number of nutrients including protein.

Nope :/ ! I really do lack protein ! My diet is basically : bread and chocolate and pasta sweets. Thats probably why my hair is getting weaker as well

That, or you're running a more severe deficit than you think. Hair loss is just the beginning.

Try upping your protein and veg and switching to some more complex carbs.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    STARVING, I drink loads of water and back out the door I go!
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member

You don't eat meat, seafood, dairy or beans? If not you're cutting out a lot of food groups and should probably be worried about a number of nutrients including protein.

Nope :/ ! I really do lack protein ! My diet is basically : bread and chocolate and pasta sweets. Thats probably why my hair is getting weaker as well

Nothing on your bread - can't be persuaded to make it a ham sandwich? Sauce on your pasta, like bolognese or carbonara?

I love all the things you listed but I'm pretty sure I'd feel yucky if I didn't eat anything else with them. If your concern is how you look (which I guess it is) then eating such a restricted diet will not be helping.

I'd maybe try and make one change to your diet a week... for instance:
    Week 1: Eat 1 piece of fruit a day
    Week 2: Eat 1 piece of fruit a day and some ham/turkey/beef on your bread.
    Week 3: Eat 1 piece of fruit a day and some ham/turkey/beef on your bread and meaty pasta sauce on your pasta.

And so on. Aim to get a variety of fruits, vegetables and sources of protein into your diet. Once you've been doing that for awhile then revisit whether you wish to lose weight, or start some strength training :)
  • neenaexp
    neenaexp Posts: 38 Member
    Try eating a small protein and carb snack right after working out. It doesn't have to be fancy, a glass of 2% milk will do, or some Greek yogurt with fruit. Eat something right away, give it 45 minutes to digest and normalize your blood sugars before you eat anything else.

This may or may not help you - some people instinctively raise their food consumption when they exercise - but having your blood sugar bottom out after working out definitely can be a factor in binge eating, so it's worth a try to see if it helps. Good luck!

• neenaexp
    neenaexp Posts: 38 Member
    I sometimes eat before workouts; a protein smoothie, blended green juice or protein bar with nut butter.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

That, or you're running a more severe deficit than you think. Hair loss is just the beginning.

or the hair loss if from medication...that's what mine was from.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2017
    Basic cardio such as running doesn't increase my appetite, but weightlifting and swimming create a ravenous monster within.

If your hair is getting worse, as you indicated earlier, consider changing your targets. Fats are essential for hormone functioning as well as absorption of vitamins A, D, E, and K. Protien is needed for healthy muscles (this includes organs such as heart). Sounds like you might be malnourished. Hair condition is just a start.

Be kinder to yourself. Get some more variety in your diet.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

or the hair loss if from medication...that's what mine was from.

Certainly a possibility, and doubtless a symptom that bears investigation.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    You say you eat chocolate and sweets....throw a scoop of protein powder in some chocolate milk!

Two pounds is in within most of our range of fluctuation. If looks are what you're concerned about, start taking measurements and add strength training to firm your body up. Maybe cut your cardio time in half. Re-evaluate after a month if you aren't liking your results. If you're mentally stuck on the weight on the scale, prepare yourself for some water retention when you initially start training...it will drop so don't worry about it.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited November 2017
    My best friend is small boned and 4'11" and two lbs is negligible on her. I agree, if you're unhappy with your physique, you probably want muscle so that you'll be firmer, not weightloss.

The only cardio that makes me hungry is swimming, which makes me STARVING, but I find if I eat a banana blended with soy milk as soon as I get home, I feel better and it takes the edge off. But I still have a lot of weight to lose, which isn't the case here.

I agree with the others, your body is telling you to feed it. Listen to it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Intensity creates hunger.
  • LoveForWine
    LoveForWine Posts: 20 Member
    I would definetly rethink your diet and add more protein. I love Pure Protein drinks (30g of protein), and they have a great chocolate flavor. I always have these in the fridge to help get my protein intake and really helps curb hunger.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Yes, cardio makes you hungry but I think lifting does too.