low carb - are carbs easier to digest after a workout?

Options
Hamsibian
Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I eat low carb (100g net) due to digestive health issues, and all my carbs come from fruits and vegetables. I know there are some benefits to eating carbs after a workout, and I am wondering if they are easier to digest around that time as well.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That will totally depend upon your digestive issues. Healthy humans digest anything edible perfectly anytime. The problem for most people these days is that digestion is too easy (hence we get fat).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I eat low carb (100g net) due to digestive health issues, and all my carbs come from fruits and vegetables. I know there are some benefits to eating carbs after a workout, and I am wondering if they are easier to digest around that time as well.

The bigger reason to time nutrients around your workout is to support your workout. Timing carbs (generally not slow digesting carbs) can provide additional energy for your workout.

Some studies would suggest there might be some benefit to timing carbs/protein around workout (especially lifting) to support recovery and whatever small benefit there may be from a muscle building perspective (which may not matter if your total protein is good anyways.

For digestive reasons, I'd recommend giving it a try for a few weeks to see if that helps your symptoms.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Thank You @kommodevaran and @psuLemon! I appreciate the information. I understand it is all dependent on what my own body responds to. I noticed after I started working again that I have been feeling sluggish and my symptoms act up more often after my lifting sessions. My protein is decent, so I am going to test this out to see if it helps with anything. Thank goodness my Thanksgiving dish is a bit more on the carby side! :smiley:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    Thank You @kommodevaran and @psuLemon! I appreciate the information. I understand it is all dependent on what my own body responds to. I noticed after I started working again that I have been feeling sluggish and my symptoms act up more often after my lifting sessions. My protein is decent, so I am going to test this out to see if it helps with anything. Thank goodness my Thanksgiving dish is a bit more on the carby side! :smiley:

Have you increased your calories at all to fuel your workouts? "Feeling sluggish" often is a sign of undereating.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sluggishness can also result from low electrolytes from cutting carbs. Increase sodium to 3000-50000mg and that may help.
  • Hamsibian
    Options

Have you increased your calories at all to fuel your workouts? "Feeling sluggish" often is a sign of undereating.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Sluggishness can also result from low electrolytes from cutting carbs. Increase sodium to 3000-50000mg and that may help.

Both good points. I have been low carb for a couple of years now, so my sodium intake is taken care of. The reason why I have been feeling sluggish is because this time of year is rough for my Crohn's and Anxiety. The typical flus and viruses make my symptoms get out of control. It didn't help that one of my major medications was randomly denied by insurance, so I missed a month's dosage. I might have to increase my calorie intake this winter so my body doesn't have to fight so hard.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sounds smart. You have to pick your battles. :)