Anybody here use nordic walking poles?

Options
Hey folks- I am an avid walker (I just love getting outside and normally walk trails in a local state park) and was thinking about getting some walking poles- does anybody use them? If so, are they difficult to use and would you recommend them? To me, they look sort of awkward, but I would like to get more upper body exercise during my daily walks. Also, is there any particular brand that you'd recommend? I'm a 60 year old woman just looking to add a bit more of a challenge to something I already enjoy.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I do some long distance hiking and use poles. The usage of them is going to come down to personal preference. What kind of terrain are you walking? If it is flat to gentle hills, poles are going to be next to useless. They are more useful when the terrain is very steep and rugged. Also, I think it is going to depend on how fast you walk/hike. If you aren't pushing the pace, I see no advantage to carrying poles around.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I do some long distance hiking and use poles. The usage of them is going to come down to personal preference. What kind of terrain are you walking? If it is flat to gentle hills, poles are going to be next to useless. They are more useful when the terrain is very steep and rugged. Also, I think it is going to depend on how fast you walk/hike. If you aren't pushing the pace, I see no advantage to carrying poles around.

I am interested in "nordic walking"- which is very different than using poles for stability on various terrain. It's more about engaging upper body- the trails I walk are flat. I understand what you're saying about the hiking though-Thanks so much for your response.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I suspect yours get more out of adding push-ups or dips to your day. Quality poles will set you back about $100 and I'll echo @rybo in that they're useful descending step trails but not really on flat ground. We evolved to walk without poles, our natural gait is going to feel most natural and comfortable.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I use them for hiking but not for daily walks. The point is not an upper body workout. They're not hard to get used to at all.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I think people are missing your point re: "Nordic Walking" which somewhat mimics the actions of cross country skiing without the skis as opposed to "hiking" poles.

It's not that people are missing it, it's that people aren't buying it. The way Nordic skiers use their poles can't be mimicked walking; you can't glide like on skis, so you can't put nearly as much force into the poles, so you can't get the upper body workout of skiing.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair of trekking poles that I bought on sale at REI on an impulse.

Didn't like using them together; found no real advantage doing so. Actually found it more inconvenient carrying 2 poles because if I need to get something out of my pocket or pack. Not so w/a single pole.

I use to cross country ski and I don't see how you could possibly "mimic" the pole and glide action while hiking. It can sometimes be useful to have 2 poles for steep acsents or descents but the most of the time 1 pole is sufficient.

So, I use just 1 of the poles and have the 2nd in reserve as a backup.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have never used them but...

I back onto the walking path and park attached to the local rec centre. The rec centre offers Nordic Walking classes.
    I see 10-12 over 50yo start off using their poles, by the time they are coming back past me at the end of the walk only a couple are still using them.
    I have also noted a high drop out rate by the end of the 8 weeks, close to 50%.

You would probably do better either setting some time aside to do upper body exercises, like @NorthCascades suggested, or doing a series of movements while on your walk- dips on a bench, push-ups against a tree or bench.
    As you are walking; overhead arm raises forward and backward windmills, horizontal circles, large and small, air punching horizontal to vertical, controlled slow bicep and tricep movements like curls.

These movements don't build muscle, but will help keep your upper body more flexible and mobile than poles would.

Cheers, h.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I watched an instructional video to make sure I understood the technique.

There are two types of benefits people expect from this type of movement—increased cardio exertion and increased upper-body strength.

The strength benefits are negligible-there is just not enough resistance.

There can be a modest increase in aerobic workload from arm swinging. However, the research I have read suggests that the increase is more from the arm swing itself, without any resistance. Since the poles inhibit full arm swing (ie thumbs up to shoulder height), I’m not sure there is that much benefit.

Like most things, one can increase the benefits by pushing harder and moving more vigorously. But it’s the effort that makes the effect-there is nothing inherently beneficial about just the movement.
  • Jancandoit7
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

There are two types of benefits people expect from this type of movement—increased cardio exertion and increased upper-body strength.

There can be a modest increase in aerobic workload from arm swinging. However, the research I have read suggests that the increase is more from the arm swing itself, without any resistance. Since the poles inhibit full arm swing (ie thumbs up to shoulder height), I’m not sure there is that much benefit.

Like most things, one can increase the benefits by pushing harder and moving more vigorously. But it’s the effort that makes the effect-there is nothing inherently beneficial about just the movement.

Since I posted my question, I have read articles/watched videos too. Being older- I was also interested in the idea of the poles taking pressure off the spine and helping with knee/hip pain and that it does burn more calories than regular walking. I guess this is a very popular activity in Europe (started in Finland) but hasn't really caught on in the states as much yet. I have a messed up shoulder so am impeded from doing many upper body exercises. I love long walks on wooded trails and just wanted to add more total body movement. I appreciate your taking the time to investigate this.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Since I posted my question, I have read articles/watched videos too. Being older- I was also interested in the idea of the poles taking pressure off the spine and helping with knee/hip pain and that it does burn more calories than regular walking. I guess this is a very popular activity in Europe (started in Finland) but hasn't really caught on in the states as much yet. I have a messed up shoulder so am impeded from doing many upper body exercises. I love long walks on wooded trails and just wanted to add more total body movement. I appreciate your taking the time to investigate this.

And you may find that, given your issues, that nordic pole walking is a good fit--or at least helps make the walking easier. I am familiar with its use in Europe, and there is nothing wrong with doing it. I just like to make sure that people understand the real effects and benefits of any activity, so that they can make the best informed decision.

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I did a 2 hour session, but I felt I had been walking for 5 hours! It's not easy, there is a technique to it and it does take practice, but you can get a decent speed going. If you don't have the right posture/technique you won't get the full benefit from it. Apparently you can burn up to 60% more calories with the piles compared to without. I was advised to get poles that came in one piece if possible. I'm sure 'Excel' was the brand we were using. Your arms need to be at a right angle to get the correct height, and you need the straps that are like gloves to support your grip properly, not just 'loops'. I hope that you understand what I mean and I've been some help.
  • Jancandoit7
    Options
    I did a 2 hour session, but I felt I had been walking for 5 hours! It's not easy, there is a technique to it and it does take practice, but you can get a decent speed going. If you don't have the right posture/technique you won't get the full benefit from it. Apparently you can burn up to 60% more calories with the piles compared to without. I was advised to get poles that came in one piece if possible. I'm sure 'Excel' was the brand we were using. Your arms need to be at a right angle to get the correct height, and you need the straps that are like gloves to support your grip properly, not just 'loops'. I hope that you understand what I mean and I've been some help.

After the research I've done, I do understand what you're saying- thanks for sharing your experience. And yeah- my impression was that it's probably not as easy as it looks
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

How could someone burn 60% more calories hiking with poles?

I love hiking and it can be really difficult, but there's no way using poles could add a 60% increase in calorie burn.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    OP: It doesn't involve walking outdoors but if you want to do a workout that actually simulates XC skiing w/poles, you should try a Concept 2 SkiErg:

http://www.concept2.com/skierg/concept2-skierg

Along w/the Concept 2 rower, it's the one of the most efficient ways to get a full body workout and burn the most cals in the shortest time.

You can find the Concept2 rower in almost every gym. You don't see the SkiErg very often but you'd most likely see one in a Crossfit gym.

There's a search function on the webpage above that can help you find a gym near you w/a SkiErg that you can try.

Both the C2 rower and SkiErg are cheap enough to buy for home use, if you can't find them in a gym near you or if you just want buy one of your own.

Coincidentally mentioned this in another thread asking what exercises offers the best cal burn. I already have a C2 rower but am now actually thinking about buying a SkiErg too.

LOL!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've used them a few times in ultra running, and in that context they can help with fatigue. I suspect they're most hassle than they're worth if you're not climbing/ descending.

Carrying them whilst running is also a bit of a pain.

Personally I wouldn't see much value for anything less than a hilly marathon.
  • Azdak
    Options

Not trying to be picky and not being negative about pole walking in general, but calorie claims for what I call "alternate" types of exercises tend to be significantly inflated--usually to attract more people to the activity. I'm sure there is an obscure study out there that showed a select group of people burning some significantly greater calories doing pole walking, but using a percentage figure like "60% more" is a classic way to blow smoke. Either the 60% results in only a minimal number of actual calories (e.g. 1.6 calories is "60% more" than one calorie, but it's still not much) or they are comparing apples to oranges.

I only know that I watched some "official" nordic pole walking videos and the people in those videos were NOT burning "60% more" calories than they would have walking w/out the poles. Maybe 5%-10% at most.

The real studies that have been done on adding arm swing or hand weights (w/arm swing) to walking have shown:
    *exaggerated arm swing, with or without weights, can increase the calorie burn of walking, sometimes significantly
    *much of the increase came from the arm swing along, independent of any weights
    *in order to get the effect, amplitude of arm swing had to be enough that thumbs came up to shoulder height when swinging forward
    *while adding weights increased both aerobic effect and calorie burn, there was a practical limit to how much weight subjects could comfortably swing: 3lbs was comfortable, but increased calorie burn only modestly over arm swing alone, 5lb had a more significant increase, but was uncomfortable for many people to sustain; 10lb had a very significant increase, but was not possible for most people and had a high potential for causing injury.

Again, not trying to discourage anyone from nordic pole walking--it is definitely a way to bump up a standard walk--but I want to make sure that people are doing for the right reason and not because of some overinflated calorie burn number.

• Jancandoit7
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: It doesn't involve walking outdoors but if you want to do a workout that actually simulates XC skiing w/poles, you should try a Concept 2 SkiErg:

http://www.concept2.com/skierg/concept2-skierg

Along w/the Concept 2 rower, it's the one of the most efficient ways to get a full body workout and burn the most cals in the shortest time.

You can find the Concept2 rower in almost every gym. You don't see the SkiErg very often but you'd most likely see one in a Crossfit gym.

There's a search function on the webpage above that can help you find a gym near you w/a SkiErg that you can try.

Both the C2 rower and SkiErg are cheap enough to buy for home use, if you can't find them in a gym near you or if you just want buy one of your own.

Coincidentally mentioned this in another thread asking what exercises offers the best cal burn. I already have a C2 rower but am now actually thinking about buying a SkiErg too.

LOL!

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately, as I previously mentioned, I have a messed up shoulder and can't do this type of exercise-I used to like regular rowing machines but can no longer use. I was considering the poles because of my shoulder as they don't add weight just more motion-which doesn't bother me so much with lack of resistance- also because the poles take stress off one's back and knees which may allow me to walk further- I'm typically walking 3-3.5 miles. I started with a difficult 1 mile so that's progress! I also use a recumbent bike but again nothing for upper body- I have just finished weeks of physical therapy (did not resolve problem but got rid of most pain) so guess I'm going for an MRI to see what's going on- but thanks for weighing in. At 60, I'm finding that my joints like to protest a lot these days- simply walking has helped this tremendously- plus the fresh air and sunshine clear my head and energize me ( it's getting cold here in New England!) I know tons of ways to work the upper body-I just can't manage them right now-this is why the nordic pole walking caught my attention.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I get pretty odd looks from my neighbors when I use mine. I just started recently; due to a fall on the ice last winter, I had to give up running, at least for a year or two, and I wanted to see whether it would allow me to walk faster. So far results are encouraging: I can comfortably sustain a walking pace of 13:30 or so per mile for 35-40 minutes by using Nordic walking poles, much faster than I can comfortably walk for 40 minutes without poles (16-17 minutes per mile is more my speed).

The motion is similar to cross-country ski poling, but much faster because there's no glide. It does engage the back muscles to some degree. It's best to use dedicated poles with proper straps and tips (like this one for paved surfaces).

One review of 16 [sic] randomized clinical trials (RCTs) has found significant health benefits: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23253654 (I read the article, not just the abstract). However, it's worth considering that an article the following year pointed out some flaws in the review, including its misidentification of 4 studies as RCTs: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24505040
  • Jancandoit7
    Options
    Thanks bwogilvie for sharing your experience and for the references-it's helpful. I was looking at the Leki poles- I'm trying to convince my walking partner to get poles too- than we can both get odd looks :D To hear that you've been able to walk faster is encouraging.