anyone else forget to drink during the day?

Options
today i had this realization that i havent been drinking any water outside of the gym in probably 2 weeks. i have my coffee (latte) in the morning, and i *might* get a soda for lunch or later in the afternoon when i'm falling asleep at my desk, but other than that i dont have any liquid the rest of the day. i hardly ever have anything to drink once i get home from work either - a sip or two at night with dinner of whatever open container is already sitting on the coffee table (i'll have carbonated water or a diet coke sitting there for 3-4 days). when i'm at the gym i typically drink my 24oz bottle, maybe half a 2nd bottle as well, but that's only 2 days a week! i only realized this because i have to move my office and have been packing everything and just put my britta filter in my new space a realized my tarvis cup isnt on my desk. because i brought it home to wash and never brought it back! i've been wondering why my lips were so dry lately!! it's currently 10:30a and i've had 36oz already so when i have it, i do drink it. but when i dont, i dont drink anything all day!

so, how do you remember to drink your water?

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I just drink water when I'm thirsty. Or if my urine gets too dark.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've gotten in the habit of keeping a water bottle on hand at all times. I don't make myself drink a certain amount, but it's there if I'm thirsty.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Made a conscious effort to improve my hydration a few years ago and the habit stuck. I have a big Tervis on my desk and make sure I refill it as soon as I empty it. Like you said, I'll drink plenty of water as long as I make it available.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i guess i just found it strange that i never felt like i was thirsty
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There are water apps that will remind you to drink if you're that worried about it. I always have a bottle of water in front of me on my desk. I refill as soon as it's empty and drink throughout the day. I will admit, I drink more while at work than when I'm at home. So I aim to drink 80-90 ounces before I leave work.
  • icyseraph
    icyseraph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got myself a 2L water bottle that I always keep beside me while I am at work. Seeing all that water reminds me that I have to drink and hydrate from time to time. I already ditched caffeinated and soda drinks since I felt contented with having just water. I do have soda from time to time bug just a swig or if not, I got one of those carbonated water if I am in the mood of a fizzy drink.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    In trying to improve/maintain my hydration, I have a 64 oz bottle at work I refill every morning. I try to finish it ( to get my minimum in ) by the end of the day.

Some days, it needs a refill; other days, I realize in the afternoon I'm behind, and try to finish as much as I can before heading out.

I consume quite a bit at home every day as well, so the days I get busy and don't end up finishing, I don't stress. I just start with the left over the next morning before the fill up.

Just like calories, macros, and nutrients ... its all about the long term average, not a specific day. Your body will give you feedback, if your not getting enough ... just pay attention.

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I try to have ice water and lemon or sparkling water open near me all day long so I remember to sip. In addition I drink a couple cups of coffee in the AM, 1 diet drink around lunch, and various herbal teas all day and evening long. I find drinking also helps me stop snacking so much. If I feel a little hungry I add a little cashew milk to the tea or coffee and stevia if I need sweetness. Most of the time is it all I really need. My liquids add up to 6 8 ounces per day usually.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I like drinking water, I always have my reusable cup somewhere nearby. It holds 24oz and I aim for three a day so 72oz. That's easy in summer, in winter some of it will be replaced with herbal tea or whatever. I know all fluids are fluids but for my "hydration" I personally prefer to count stuff without sugar or caffeine towards my 72oz. I have an app on my watch that will remind me if I haven't logged a certain amount by a certain time. I'm aware this is anal, but I enjoy it.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I would go an entire day without drinking more than 8oz. I now have an alarm that goes off on my phone every hour. I don't always drink when it goes off, but it forces me to take a second to evaluate if I need a drink (it also reminds me to get away from my desk and move around a little).
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I have a dedicated water cup w/straw that I take to work everyday and refill it at least once throughout the day. I use it at home too, wash at night and repeat for the next day.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i might have to try the alarm idea - it kind of scares me how little fluid i put into my body when i stop paying attention!
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I have a 80oz bottle I keep at work & make sure to drink most of it before I clock out.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have water right after I get up in the morning. I have water with my meals and whenever I am thirsty. I don't really forget. It is just routine.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can easily drink tea with milk all day in winter, and not have any plain water. But it's been 38 degrees (100.4F) here everyday lately, and there aint no way I'm forgetting to drink water.
  • AllyyLovesYa
    AllyyLovesYa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I carry a water bottle with me almost everywhere, even around the house. Whenever I see it I remember I need to drink from it. I need to drink 64 oz a day and the bottle is 32 oz, so I just have to refill it once.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's not possible for me to forget and I can't imagine how it would be. It's like forgetting to go to the bathroom. Now if I've had a lot of tea, soup...etc I may not need to drink plain water because I may not get thirsty, otherwise, my thirst signals are pretty spot on.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    EVERYDAY.
    My job is so busy and I work directly with patients... I have to remind myself to drink! I started a water challenge with a co worker and we text eachother throughtout the day about how much we have consumed...
    I have a tough time drinking water ! Herbal Tea helps
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    There’s an app for that...

Lol.. I actually had an alarm set for every hour, little birdies told me to drink some water. It worked for a good while, until I started ignoring them..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kimcalica wrote: »
    There’s an app for that...

Lol.. I actually had an alarm set for every hour, little birdies told me to drink some water. It worked for a good while, until I started ignoring them..

I had one of those reminders on my phone once... I deleted it after a week cos it was getting so annoying!