Trouble Eating Early In The Morning

Options
FutureShawn0058
FutureShawn0058 Posts: 14 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I have usually always skipped eating breakfast in the mornings because after I wake up I am always a little anxious and queasy to stomach anything except liquids. This past week my workout schedule has been and will continue to be working out at 6 in the morning. I usually drink a cup of coffee before the gym and then after the gym I will make a protein shake with fruits, almond butter etc. in it. Is this ok to substitue in the shake for a meal after a workout if you are on a pretty strict diet or would you recommend more caloric intake after a workout that early in the morning?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    as long as your workouts are not suffering, it really doesn't matter when you consume the calories. If you don't like to eat first thing in the morning, just have a slightly more calorie dense lunch and it will be fine.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    If you have anxiety upon waking, isn't coffee going to make it worse?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I do all of my morning workouts in a fasted state...I actually find having an empty stomach improves my cardio performance. I don't usually eat until much later in the day and my body has adjusted.
  • FutureShawn0058
    Options
    @PAFC84 a little but I use it more as a pre workout to get my heart rate up.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    If you have anxiety upon waking, isn't coffee going to make it worse?

Not speaking for the OP, but as someone with a diagnosed anxiety disorder, the consumption of caffeine has no effect on my anxiety.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Why are you seeking to elevate your heart rate with coffee before your workout?
  • PAFC84
    Options

Ah OK. I guess it depends on whether you feel like its benefits outweigh its negatives. I personally steer clear of it but then again, I don't like the taste either
  • PAFC84
    Options

I believe people do it to boost their energy and thus impact positively on their workout.
  • FutureShawn0058
    Options

Because it’s early in the morning, Most people use pre workout. I use coffee.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I don't understand the connection between it being early in the morning and wanting your heart rate to be higher than the exercise would otherwise make it. Not trying to be snarky, this just isn't an approach I've encountered before.

I know people who drink coffee before a workout (I do it sometimes myself), but it's for the energy, not for getting my heart rate higher.
  • FutureShawn0058
    Options

I don't understand the connection between it being early in the morning and wanting your heart rate to be higher than the exercise would otherwise make it. Not trying to be snarky, this just isn't an approach I've encountered before.

I know people who drink coffee before a workout (I do it sometimes myself), but it's for the energy, not for getting my heart rate higher.

Ya I’m using it for the energy I misspoke. Having said that caffeine does slightly increase your heart rate.