Has watching your macros worked for you?

Options
I used to see ppl talking about macros all the time. I'd love to know if you've tried it and your results.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How do you mean "work"?

If you mean weight loss, that's a function of calories consumed. That said, many people find it easier to stay in a deficit if they're getting enough of the macronutrients that lead them to feel satisfied (which can vary by person -- for many it is protein, for others it is fat or even carbohydrates).
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For me I've never paid much attention to macros and more CICO but I also paid attention to how different foods made me feel. I'm just wondering what ppl have experienced w watching macros.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Watching my macros made me aware that I get a greater degree of satiation from fat than some other people do, and made me feel comfortable adjusting my percentages accordingly. It also keeps me cognizant of meeting my protein needs more than I might if I just ate whatever I wanted. No huge benefit one way or the other weight-wise, though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    For me I've never paid much attention to macros and more CICO but I also paid attention to how different foods made me feel. I'm just wondering what ppl have experienced w watching macros.

I follow IIFYM, works great for me.
  • HildaTrevino
    HildaTrevino Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I watch my macros once I plateau, it definitely jumpstarted my weightloss. It is alot more difficult to keep track of but my fitness pal makes it super easy!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I am a meat eater, so it's easy for me to get protein, but I also love veggies and salad. Since tracking, I've noticed when I just don't feel great, not energetic, I didn't have enough protein the day before. When I am just really hungry and want a candy bar, not because I want sugar, but because I want something NOW! I don't want to take the time to cook, de-string celery, peel carrots, etc. I didn't have enough protein the day before.
    It affects my weight loss in a round about way.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so I have to watch my protein carefully. I've found the app extremely useful for that. I'm sure my body composition would not be nearly what it is now had I not done so.
  • urracan
    urracan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so I have to watch my protein carefully. I've found the app extremely useful for that. I'm sure my body composition would not be nearly what it is now had I not done so.

Thank you for your input. Am re-starting iifym today, vacation and thanksgiving took a toll on my waistline. Was a bit skeptical but your input puts hope on my journey. Thanks once again.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Watching my macros helps me stay on track. I feel better overall, sleep better, and my workouts seem to be more consistent. Weight loss doesn't seem impacted by macros. By calories, yes... but not by macros.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Keeping track of my protein and carb macros helped me realize too many carbs make me tired and hungry, and more protein kept me awake and not so hungry.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

I find the same: while I'm not strictly vegetarian, I am mostly veggie. Protein is consistently my most challenging macro to hit, and I do keep an eye on (and will sometimes make meal choices based on) how I'm doing that day. I also try to make sure I'm close to balanced, just so I'm not leaning too far one way or another. Has it made a difference? Not entirely sure, but for me it's in the "since I can watch it, I will watch it" camp. At some point I may analyse further, but that will be from the land of maintenance.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I also follow IIFYM. I find keeping my protein and fat higher work well for me and my needs. I also lift weights primarily for my exercise so I need more protein for muscle repair. While as far as weight management matters CICO is king, but macros are also important because they all play a role in body function. Too much or too little of any of them can lead to potential problems.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Paying attention to macros has helped me figure out what foods I find more satiating - I find I feel fuller when I keep protein up.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I monitor overall calories and went from tightly controlling my macros to simply prioritizing meeting my protein minimums, and this has been working well for a year. If I get my 30-35% protein, it has mattered little what my carbs/fats mix has been (within reason). I occasionally monitor sugar and sodium to make sure that nothing too out of the ordinary is happening.