Elliptical or treadmill ?

Options
weighmeless
weighmeless Posts: 42 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Looking forward to buy either elliptical or treadmill. which one would you all think is best ?
Heard treadmill burns more cals but gets hard on knee ... ?!

I have googled but found same/similar articles.
So can someone here with personal experience on the same shed some light ?

Also is it true that these exercise machines cost less during/around new year because people make resolutions ?

any related input is welcome :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    They are so similar that I don't think it really matters. If you have running-specific goals, then do the treadmill. If you have joint or impact-related concerns, go with the elliptical. But both can give very similar workouts, so I wouldn't look at one being inherently more effective than the other.
  • weighmeless
    Options
    What are your goals?

One which burns more cals because I am aiming at at least 1-1.5 lbs a week. So an exercise which takes less time but more effective..basically where it can fit my schedule and yet be effective.. Iam a working mom, so that leaves me time only after 8.30-9pm when my family settles down for the day and its my time. But I am already almost exhausted by then, but still I need my exercise especially with winter around the corner when jogging/walking out is last thing on mind.. ugghh!! I am already hating winter for the same reason.
  • weighmeless
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    They are so similar that I don't think it really matters. If you have running-specific goals, then do the treadmill. If you have joint or impact-related concerns, go with the elliptical. But both can give very similar workouts, so I wouldn't look at one being inherently more effective than the other.

Thank you..I used to walk more..now I have "upgraded" to jogging..so with winter a finger tip away, I need something that keeps my intensity level same/high. Don't want to end up doing nothing because of pains if at all its true because of treadmill :)
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Personally the elliptical gives me a better work out without as much joint pain from jogging on the treadmill. However, I'd rather have a treadmill than an elliptical. As I lose more weight and get more fit, the treadmill will be a better fit. I currently have an elliptical at home and use the treadmill at the gym.
  • weighmeless
    Options
    Bechler77 wrote: »
    Personally the elliptical gives me a better work out without as much joint pain from jogging on the treadmill. However, I'd rather have a treadmill than an elliptical. As I lose more weight and get more fit, the treadmill will be a better fit. I currently have an elliptical at home and use the treadmill at the gym.

Can you have a running motion on elliptical ?..i think running is helping me in terms of loosing weight but I am being advised against treadmill from a family friend... Having second thoughts after we decided to opt for treadmill.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

One which burns more cals because I am aiming at at least 1-1.5 lbs a week. So an exercise which takes less time but more effective..basically where it can fit my schedule and yet be effective.. Iam a working mom, so that leaves me time only after 8.30-9pm when my family settles down for the day and its my time. But I am already almost exhausted by then, but still I need my exercise especially with winter around the corner when jogging/walking out is last thing on mind.. ugghh!! I am already hating winter for the same reason.

Exercising to burn calories is not a good way to start. What happens when you get an injury?

Calorie deficit from food, exercise for fitness.
  • Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have used our elliptical at work for quite a while (2.5-3 years), everyday Monday to Friday for about 45 min each day at least with very minimal results. I started walking, then jogging on the treadmill we purchased at home in September and have lost 10 lbs and can now jog/run 4-6 km every morning (depending on how long I give myself but usually 30-50 min) with very little discomfort in my knees. Weekends I try to get in a 10 km run at least once now. In Sept when I first started out I did have some soreness and swelling in my knees but would rest a day or two usually on weekends and continue on Monday.

I hope this helps a bit & good luck with your journey! :)
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Eliptical.

You can trip on a treadmill :P
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm spoiled, and have both in my home gym ... and I use both almost every day. Overall I prefer the elliptical. I'm a SAHM and pop down to the gym multiple times a day. I really like the elliptical because it doesn't require any special workout wear, even shoes! I wear slippers. I have to wear shoes on the treadmill ... I hate shoes. If you are just walking on the treadmill, the elliptical probably gives a better workout for your time, but if you are jogging or using the incline, then the treadmill would likely burn more.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Because of winter and parenting constraints, I did much of the running to train for a marathon on a treadmill, including tempo and 14-mile second-long runs, and had no knee problems. My injury risk is no higher on treadmills than with just running in general. However, the unvarying surface of a treadmill will tend to prepare you poorly for surface variations when you run outside, say on trails, so be aware of that if you do choose a treadmill.
  • Edensxox
    Edensxox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had this struggle years ago and decided on the elliptical trainer first. Easier on the joints and if you're new to exercise it may be an easier approach (jogging terrified me) having the intensity levels too give a great leg workout at the start too, all the best on what you pick !
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I get more out of my time running the treadmill than I do on the elliptical, in terms of higher average HR and calories burned. Progress on the treadmill is transferable to street running, where the elliptical has a more limited scope of functional fitness that is useful beyond that particular machine.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue your jogging then get the treadmill. You can use the incline/speed to make it a great workout even when walking.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and run at a decent pace but according to the machines themselves I burn more on the elliptical. If I had to pick one I'd get an elliptical and combine it with outside running, and if I wasn't a runner I'd definitely pick an elliptical
  • weighmeless
    Options
    Saltine24 wrote: »
    I have used our elliptical at work for quite a while (2.5-3 years), everyday Monday to Friday for about 45 min each day at least with very minimal results. I started walking, then jogging on the treadmill we purchased at home in September and have lost 10 lbs and can now jog/run 4-6 km every morning (depending on how long I give myself but usually 30-50 min) with very little discomfort in my knees. Weekends I try to get in a 10 km run at least once now. In Sept when I first started out I did have some soreness and swelling in my knees but would rest a day or two usually on weekends and continue on Monday.

I hope this helps a bit & good luck with your journey! :)

Your experience helps :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Bechler77 wrote: »

Can you have a running motion on elliptical ?..i think running is helping me in terms of loosing weight but I am being advised against treadmill from a family friend... Having second thoughts after we decided to opt for treadmill.

Is your family friend a runner or knowledgeable about running? There's a common and persistent myth that running is hard on your knees which is simply not true (there are other issues than can manifest themselves as knee paid - frequently hip & glute weakness - but research has demonstrated time and again that runners do not suffer with any more joint problems than the general population).

I'm not a fan of either (I run outside all year 'round) but my treadmill served its purpose when I began trying to improve my fitness. I think the decision really comes down to which you are going to enjoy and make use of on a regular basis (personally I'd be inclined to go with a treadmill over an elliptical as the motion is more like outdoor walking/running and would better prepare you fot he transition to outdoors when the weather suits you)

As to pricing you can often find deals on used ones in the spring when all the new years resolution buyers want to get rid of the expense towel rack. In any event, buy the best quality machine you can afford, the cheap ones usually don't last very long and end up costing you more in the long run.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I began with an elliptical, I live in the Midwest and deal with below freezing temperatures, and 40-70mph winds 6 months out of the year. I've never been able to run before, due to shin splints and all my past forays into excersise involved some type of bike. The elliptical was a lot cheaper so that's what I got. I used it faithfully for about a year. Then spring came around again and I really wanted to be outside in the sunshine, but I have more kids than will fit in a bike trailer, and the older ones can't keep up with me on their own bikes. So I thought I'd give running another try.

I've been running since March and in September I sold my eliptical and got a treadmill. I have found I get a much better workout on the treadmill. My heart rate is higher during my workouts and I find it much easier to push myself, I tend to watch movies or read when I workout and it was way too easy to slow down without noticing on the elliptical, the treadmill doesn't let me do that, I have to stick to the pace I set, or else. I still get outside to run when the weather permits, but My husband and I spent the big bucks and got a nice one, since he runs too. I look forward to many more years on it. I personally like the way I feel after a run much better.

But if joint pain is an issue or you are very overweight and are worried about the extra strain to your joints that might cause then go with the elliptical.