Tried sardines.....

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Sardines ... yummm ... always have some on hand.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I like them, just wish I could find them deboned. Yuck.

You can eat the bones too. (I actually don't now, but used to before.)
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Love them too!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like both, but prefer herring.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    King Oscar sardines are the best I can get at the grocery store. My favorite sardines are the jalapeño ones in oil. I'm trying to eat the ones in spring water but they really don't taste too good.

I agree love the King Oscar the best..I like the ones in olive oil mooshed on toast :p yummm

Don't know of King Oscar. Brunswick is my usual brand.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Why do I have a sudden craving for a sardine sandwich on a malt loaf?

rye crispbread! damn it, now i have it too.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

I know you can, I just hate it lol. Like softshell crab.. just no.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Mashed up, in tomato sauce, salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Piled onto hot buttered wholemeal toast. Grated cheddar if you're feeling cheeky.

Yum I am trying this for breakfast!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    .....and they weren't bad. Had a can of sardines sitting in hot sauce. Read the nutritional value and they were touted as being healthy as well as high calcium.
    Put them on toast for breakfast so to the store I go to get other flavors. Pleasantly surprised!

I love sardines. I buy them boneless in tomato sauce, spread them on toast and top them with pickled jalapeños. ..:)

Oh, I will have to look for this. I don't mind the taste of sardines but have texture issues with the bones. I didn't know they sold them boneless.

Look for these. Not much more than the "run of the mill type", but great quality.

UT82V2pXqNbXXcUQpbXb.png

I second that! <3 this brand:))
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Just opened a can of sardines for a late night snack last night.

It's a cheap brand - - Pampa - - packaged in water in a large 7oz (wet) can that I buy at my local Dollar Store. They use big fat sardines that weigh 1-2 oz each. Two sardines in the can; net wt is about 4 oz.

I just rinsed off the fish, drizzled a tbsp of good quality EVOO over them, seasoned w/salt & pepper and topped them w/pickled jalepenos that I made myself. Just drank some black tea w/them. Tasted great to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I love fresh caught grilled sardines. I've never eaten the canned ones.

These are great if/when you can find them.

Had them once at a restaurant. Big fat ones, tasted like mackeral. Not tin/mushy tasting like canned. They were great!

Haven't ever seen them fresh in my area. Would buy some if I did.

Me too. Love them fresh, but I almost never see them here.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

I know you can, I just hate it lol. Like softshell crab.. just no.

I love softshell crab so much.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There may be an added bonus! I have a dog with advance kidney failure. Many of the treatments that benefit dogs are rooted in human studies. Sardines are a food that I feed him...as part of his low phosphatase food plan.

Even in humans, phosphatase is a contributing factor to kidney issues (generally, white meats and fish are low in it, red meats are high with it...rabbit, lamb and goat as well as some animal organs (like cow brains) are also low).

They also have other nutritional benefits but have a sardine a day for kidney health!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Even in humans, phosphatase is a contributing factor to kidney issues (generally, white meats and fish are low in it, red meats are high with it...rabbit, lamb and goat as well as some animal organs (like cow brains) are also low).

This statement does not make sense.

Are you talking about foods that raise alkaline phosphatase (ALP)? Because ALP has to do with the liver (hepatic), not kidney (renal) system. Or did you mean foods low in phosphorus? That would make sense if you are talking about chronic renal/kidney disease (CRD/CKD) in human, dogs, or cats.

But then your food list does not make sense if you are talking about foods to limit/avoid completely when on a CKD diet. Low phosphorus diets must be, by nature of the beast, low in animal based protein (exception: cats because they are obligate carnivores) because animal based protein is high in phosphorus. The three red meats you listed as okay - rabbit, lamb, and goat - are just as "bad", if not worse, than beef or chicken in terms of phosphorus content. Some fish, too. *Sardines are on the high phosphorus list of foods to avoid, not feed (source: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/phosphorus).*

If what you wrote is what you believe/currently understand things, I urge you to consider scheduling a follow up consultation appointment with your routine veterinary care provider to get a clear list of feed/do not feed foods for your fur-kid with renal disease regardless of the chronicity (acute vs. chronic). If s/he still insists feeding daily sardines is A-O.K. on a CKD diet, you should request a referral to either an internist or a board nutritionist.

Also, eating bovine brains outside of very, very young calves brains is not really a great idea in the age of prion diseases. For any mammal, not just humans.

OT? Maple glazed boneless/skinless sardine fillets (water packed) make a pretty darn good breakfast meat alternative. Don't try the Bar Harbor brand maple ones - they are pretty gross and taste only vaguely of maple. But making your own similar to how you would for maple glazed bacon were pretty good!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I always thought sardines were disgusting. But one time I got a free pizza and it had everything on it and I was eating it and was like WOW what is this nice crunchy salty stuff it tastes so good. I thought it was some type of sausage at first until my boyfriend said "nope thats sardine". Couldn't believe I actually liked them lol.
  • BrentMacNichols
    BrentMacNichols Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love sardines. Sardine Pate is easy to make. I like spaghetti marina with sardines and capers.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've had a big can of Mexican sardines for several months. You folks have convinced me to open the darned can and proceed to consume them.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    WOW what is this nice crunchy salty stuff it tastes so good.

use that wasn't anchovies? they are terrific on pizza but sardines aren't usually salty. more just a rich, oily taste that puts some people off.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've had a big can of Mexican sardines for several months. You folks have convinced me to open the darned can and proceed to consume them.

Mexican sardines reviews are a mixed bag. You would have to provide a name/style before research would be possible to determine if any of the reputable sardine reviewers feel are edible or not. There's 1-2/5 whose guidance I used in my own trial phase and so trust their opinions.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Mashed up, in tomato sauce, salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Piled onto hot buttered wholemeal toast. Grated cheddar if you're feeling cheeky.

Had it for breakfast and was so yummy!!