Trying to lose belly fat and tone mucles

Options

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    This could be a picture of me when I started at 212 lbs. I'm also 5'8". Now I'm high 170's and although my midsection is smaller in terms of inches, I've lost even more in pretty much every other area. I actually think my belly looks larger relative to the rest of me now than when I started.

I'm thinking I'll need about another 20-25 lbs to get the belly down where I want it. It's got to come off eventually, right?
  • jihaneberr1533
    jihaneberr1533 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This could be a picture of me when I started at 212 lbs. I'm also 5'8". Now I'm high 170's and although my midsection is smaller in terms of inches, I've lost even more in pretty much every other area. I actually think my belly looks larger relative to the rest of me now than when I started.

I'm thinking I'll need about another 20-25 lbs to get the belly down where I want it. It's got to come off eventually, right?

Yes 150lbs is a perfect goal, i wish you good luck on the 20lbs left
  • KailaLaFlor
    KailaLaFlor Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It might help to look into strength training if you want to maintain some shape *in the rest of your body* as you lose the fat. I can't recommend it enough. It's helping me to lose in a more flattering way than I've ever lost in the past.
  • jihaneberr1533
    Options
    It might help to look into strength training if you want to maintain some shape *in the rest of your body* as you lose the fat. I can't recommend it enough. It's helping me to lose in a more flattering way than I've ever lost in the past.

I do strenght training because i dont want to lose muscles, but for my belly fat i think it will go last so i have to keep losing fat until i reach it..
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As others said there is no way to target stomach fat, but you might want to add in some "core muscle" exercises like Pilates or yoga to strengthen the muscles underneath the fat. It will help tighten the area up and reduces stress on the back muscles. I've had to have a lot of abdominal surgeries due to medical problems and each time they cut off some skin and fat with the surgery (tummy tuck basically), but each time the fat eventually comes back. Genetic distribution unfortunately.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I do strenght training because i dont want to lose muscles, but for my belly fat i think it will go last so i have to keep losing fat until i reach it..

OP I started at 205...I am now at 147...

I held a lot of my weight in my middle too...it does take time...but it will go.

Try not to dwell on it however...keep the positives in front.

For example everyone would comment on my legs or my back etc...so I would concentrate on how well they were shaping up...and after a while my middle caught up.

• jihaneberr1533
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    As others said there is no way to target stomach fat, but you might want to add in some "core muscle" exercises like Pilates or yoga to strengthen the muscles underneath the fat. It will help tighten the area up and reduces stress on the back muscles. I've had to have a lot of abdominal surgeries due to medical problems and each time they cut off some skin and fat with the surgery (tummy tuck basically), but each time the fat eventually comes back. Genetic distribution unfortunately.

Yes you're right, we can't change Genetics sadly, most of my familly members carry excess weight on their belly, so i dont make exception but i will keep exercising and counting calories until i reach my belly fat
  • jihaneberr1533
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

OP I started at 205...I am now at 147...

I held a lot of my weight in my middle too...it does take time...but it will go.

Try not to dwell on it however...keep the positives in front.

For example everyone would comment on my legs or my back etc...so I would concentrate on how well they were shaping up...and after a while my middle caught up.

I try to stay positive and make short term goals, i know my belly fat will be the last to go but i'm sute i'll reach it at the end of my 50lbs loss
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm a weird one, I lose fat on my belly first, my legs (specifically calves) are the very last.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I dont want my middle to go so fats anyways. If it did i would probably have saggy skin to deal with and I would rather not.

When I hear them commercials for fat removal and they say you can save $500 I am like NOPE now I know it is to expensive.
  • jihaneberr1533
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I'm a weird one, I lose fat on my belly first, my legs (specifically calves) are the very last.

Lucky you :D
  • jihaneberr1533
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    I dont want my middle to go so fats anyways. If it did i would probably have saggy skin to deal with and I would rather not.

When I hear them commercials for fat removal and they say you can save $500 I am like NOPE now I know it is to expensive.

Sagging skin is a big issue but having excess belly fat can lead to many health problems, cholesterol, triglycemia ect..
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options

Sagging skin is a big issue but having excess belly fat can lead to many health problems, cholesterol, triglycemia ect..

Yep I have high cholesterol 249
  • jihaneberr1533
    Options

Yep I have high cholesterol 249

So sorry..i hope you recover from it soon
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I’m another one whose tummy seems to shrink more slowly than the rest. Frustrating as all get out.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    When I read your post I knew others would have already chimed in to say the same thing. You cannot target any certain area with diet and exercise to lose fat in any area.

I am a guy and YEP most of my fat is around my belly also. I have lost 3-4 inches from around my waist, but I think most of what I have lost has come from other places. Unless you go to one of those places that advertise those fancy COOL SCULPTING fat removal ads, your just going to have to be patient and wait for your body to do it's thing.

Cool sculpting doesn't work.....save your cash.

cool sculpting absolutely works. But it's only really effective in already lean individuals.

I've read about it...basically "freezing fat cells"...so what happens when they thaw out?

You admit you haven't had it done so you are going by pics on the internet...

They die. when they freeze. It's just noninvasive Lipo.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Based on your picture, posture would help a good deal with your perceived belly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    When I read your post I knew others would have already chimed in to say the same thing. You cannot target any certain area with diet and exercise to lose fat in any area.

I am a guy and YEP most of my fat is around my belly also. I have lost 3-4 inches from around my waist, but I think most of what I have lost has come from other places. Unless you go to one of those places that advertise those fancy COOL SCULPTING fat removal ads, your just going to have to be patient and wait for your body to do it's thing.

Cool sculpting doesn't work.....save your cash.

cool sculpting absolutely works. But it's only really effective in already lean individuals.

I've read about it...basically "freezing fat cells"...so what happens when they thaw out?

You admit you haven't had it done so you are going by pics on the internet...

They die. when they freeze. It's just noninvasive Lipo.

Yah I read the links she provided...

sounds interesting...