Desk job

Options
2»

Replies

• CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Some great comments here, they are all things I do as well.... Frequent stretching and walking breaks, make up for it at the gym at night, and keep very active on my days off.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Found this interesting and thought I'd share!

*Caloric Burn for Sitting vs Standing*

Do you have the source for this?
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Found this interesting and thought I'd share!

*Caloric Burn for Sitting vs Standing*

Do you have the source for this?

A good source, maybe not as I just did a quick google search LOL.

This is the website I found in my quick search however:
    https://www.btod.com/blog/2017/03/04/how-many-calories-will-i-burn-standing-vs-sitting/
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Stand as much as possible. Walk several times a day. Exercise regularly.
  • kbrown49
    kbrown49 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    taylorro wrote: »
    I work a call center desk job as well, for me I walk laps on my breaks and lunches and will eat my lunch at my desk in between calls. Unfortunately its hard for me to do anything in between calls and getting up for any amount of time is pretty much not going to happen. I started this job in Feb of last year and like you I went from a very active job to sitting all the time and gaining a substantial amount of weight from it.

Saaaame. I started in April and it's been awful. And I work horrible hours, 11:30-8. So my lunch is usually between 3&4. Which means I'm eating dinner late. That's something I've been struggling with horribly
  • kbrown49
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I bought myself a DeskCycle...... works great!

Helps when the weather is awful and I can't get out for a walk at lunch.

Very quiet - no one knows I use it. :)

i7oi6100fgi4.jpg

That's a fantastic idea!!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • kbrown49
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I've worked a desk job since 2011 now and I've gained... lost it with MFP... thought I was done so I left MFP ...... gained the weight back *sigh* ..... came back to MFP because I realized I'm never going to be "done" ..... I'm a lifer now ;)

Thank you!!!
  • kbrown49
    Options
    I work a desk job.

What works for me:

Adopt a hobby that involves activity. I run just about daily and my husband and I often incorporate walking into our weekend date.

Walk on a lunch break. I get an extra 15-20 minutes of walking in each work day just from doing this.

If you have one-on-one meetings and your area will allow it, make some meetings walking meetings. I get an additional 1-4 hours a week of walking from doing this.

Consider a standing desk. I don't think this actually burns many calories, but it helps me avoid feeling "blah" from sitting all day.

Incorporate walking into some or all of your commute. I walk to and from work several times a week. It's 2 miles each way and those miles add up.

Great tips!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kbrown49 wrote: »
    taylorro wrote: »
    I work a call center desk job as well, for me I walk laps on my breaks and lunches and will eat my lunch at my desk in between calls. Unfortunately its hard for me to do anything in between calls and getting up for any amount of time is pretty much not going to happen. I started this job in Feb of last year and like you I went from a very active job to sitting all the time and gaining a substantial amount of weight from it.

Saaaame. I started in April and it's been awful. And I work horrible hours, 11:30-8. So my lunch is usually between 3&4. Which means I'm eating dinner late. That's something I've been struggling with horribly

timing of meals is not relevant just stay in goal.