Is my brain normal. . ish?

Options
For the last 8 months or so i've been sorta maintaining. I'm 4' 11" so if i want to eat more than 1200 and lose i have to exercise. I love to walk i used to take long walks with my mom at least a couple times a week and a shorter walk by myself everyday after work. That hill was my *kitten*. I developed a hip issue and haven't been able to take walks. I could barely make it through work. So i took a break for my sanity. Been seeing a chiropractor and Im much better but my question is this. I have not gained any weight just the usual up and down 2-3 pounds (YAY!) but at the beginning of the year I had a lot of saggy skin everywhere and now I dont really have any and like i said i haven't gained so i know its probably just my skin shrinking back over time, but where I'm still overweight I now look more like i did before i started. My brain keeps telling me i've gained even though i know i haven't. Anyone else have skin shrink back and have small moments when you walk by a mirror that you think for a second that you are back at the beginning?

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Your brain can play weird tricks on you, can't it? I lost 125+ pounds and had been maintaining for a couple of years. 15 months, 4 surgeries and I've managed to gain 20 pounds. I notice it way more than anyone else. But I'll walk by a mirror and think I've gained it all back even though logically I know I haven't.

My plan is to not add any more weight while I finish healing up and then get to work on those 20 pounds. Be good to get back to my normal exercise routine which really helps. When you are short (I'm almost 5"1') you can really see those extra pounds.

A lot of my excess skin has tightened up some and now looks "stretched" (can't think of a better word!).

Your brain should catch up eventually!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    This is normal and under the general heading of- Not Good Enough. There's something about weight loss and not good enough.

We start losing weight because our brain has said not good enough and unhealthy. But then we do something about it and our brain keeps saying Not Good Enough every step of the way. It's a common problem.

The only thing you can do is what your doing. The scale is objective evidence that you're ok. You don't need to act on the junk your brain spits out. It may catch up, but will really never stop 100%. It can't.

If the scale is ok and you find you are truly dissatisfied with you appearance, turn to fitness. Or do what I did, cover up with nice clothes.