Recommendations for a swimming activity tracker

Options
Can anyone recommend a good activity tracker for swimming?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've got a Forerunner 735XT, but the 920XT, 930 or Fenix will all do the trick.

The supporting data is extremely useful.
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a VivoActive and love it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I like the idea, but I keep backing off of getting one, particularly for pool workouts. My reasoning is:

1) You can't glance at your watch while swimming the way you can while running or cycling, therefore it can't give you real-time feedback anyway.

2) You can get real-time pace information if your pool has a timer (good pools have one at each end of the lane with their times synchronized). You can also check your HR manually using the timer during rest periods.

3) I know my pace so well that I know my distance just from the approximate time.

4) If you want to improve speed, you need to do some intervals. A pool clock is perfect for doing those.

Now, for open-water workouts, I put my (waterproof) Samsung phone in my safety buoy and run a tracking app. Then I know how far and fast I went after the fact.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR920XT and HRM-Tri (designed for non-chlorinated water as I recall - I think HRM-Swim is the indoors one) and have gotten good use out of them. That's admittedly a bit pricey. I believe Garmin makes a watch called the Swim that is designed for that express purpose and is under 200 bucks.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have a vivoactive he that tracks swims. I learned the hard way that you must not use the buttons on a tracker during a swim.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a vivoactive he that tracks swims. I learned the hard way that you must not use the buttons on a tracker during a swim.

Wait, what? The Vivoactive is only waterproof if buttons aren't pressed? I definitely don't have that problem with my 920 - I've been pushing buttons underwater for years with it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR920XT and HRM-Tri (designed for non-chlorinated water as I recall - I think HRM-Swim is the indoors one) and have gotten good use out of them. That's admittedly a bit pricey. I believe Garmin makes a watch called the Swim that is designed for that express purpose and is under 200 bucks.

Another 920 user here......the HRM for use in the water is on my Christmas wish list.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I use a Fenix 5X. I had trouble at first with it counting laps properly, but I set an alert to have it tell me when it thinks I've done a pool length, and once I figured it out, it's perfect.