Weight Loss Surgery: expected time frame for surgery?

Options
Hi everyone. So after much thought, consideration and research, I have chosen to see if I can get weight loss surgery done, (gastric bypass specifically), but I had a few questions that I couldn’t quite find the answers too and was hoping that anyone whose had the surgery done could maybe answer for me. I wanted to know what are the time frames from the time you get your first consultation with the doctor until the time you will get the surgery? I’m asking specially because I begin my internship for school in mid January and we cannot miss any days due to use being required to meet 480 hours by the end of the semester in May. I’m planning to consult my doctor and move forward from there beginning this coming Monday. Is it likely that I would have to wait until May to get my surgery? From what I know so far, my insurance doesn’t require a specific medically timed diet before I can get surgery. I just want to know what time frames I should be expecting to make sure that I plan accordingly around school if I have to. Thanks for any info!

Replies

• IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    In the United States, the answer to your question will vary by doctor, hospital, and health system. Any reputable bariatric program will have this information readily available; in addition, you should be able to address these questions with your doctor and he or she will refer you to the correct information. Many bariatric programs have free informational sessions open to the public, an opportunity to gather such information and ask questions.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    In the United States, the answer to your question will vary by doctor, hospital, and health system. Any reputable bariatric program will have this information readily available; in addition, you should be able to address these questions with your doctor and he or she will refer you to the correct information. Many bariatric programs have free informational sessions open to the public, an opportunity to gather such information and ask questions.

Yes I saw that! I’m just so anxious and mostly everything is closed until Monday so I wanted to try and get a general answer sooner lol But thanks anyways!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I know that it's exciting to come to a decision, but I don't think you're going to find this to be a fast process, and nor should it be.
  • Lauren_Garza21
    Lauren_Garza21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric bypass surgery and less than a week later I was back to working and going to school full time. There’s a couple restrictions like lifting over 5-10 pounds and climbing stairs or standing/sitting for long periods of time.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I had the vertical sleeve done on Oct 24th, but I started the process in September of 2016. Granted, I was dragging my feet for a bit, but my insurance didn't require a time frame. But there is a lot that you have to do to be given the go ahead. Most programs require at least one visit with their nutritionist & psychologist, in addition to the surgeon. You may also need to have a sleep study done and a stress test. I think, at least for my program, the earliest I could have gotten in for surgery, if I'd done everything as quickly as possible right away, would have been four months after my initial consult.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    Hi everyone. So after much thought, consideration and research, I have chosen to see if I can get weight loss surgery done, (gastric bypass specifically), but I had a few questions that I couldn’t quite find the answers too and was hoping that anyone whose had the surgery done could maybe answer for me. I wanted to know what are the time frames from the time you get your first consultation with the doctor until the time you will get the surgery? I’m asking specially because I begin my internship for school in mid January and we cannot miss any days due to use being required to meet 480 hours by the end of the semester in May. I’m planning to consult my doctor and move forward from there beginning this coming Monday. Is it likely that I would have to wait until May to get my surgery? From what I know so far, my insurance doesn’t require a specific medically timed diet before I can get surgery. I just want to know what time frames I should be expecting to make sure that I plan accordingly around school if I have to. Thanks for any info!

You would probably end up waiting longer than a few months. To do it properly there are A LOT of appointments necessary - dietician, surgeon, nurses, social worker, orientations if you go through a program. Then there are a battery of tests: full blood tests, heart test, colonoscapy, sleep tests, etc. My mother's going through the process right now (I'm her support person) and they said at earliest not to expect a surgery date for at least another six months but possibly a year. As well as looking to spend anywhere between $200-$400 for the meal replacement shakes that you'll be on before and after surgery.

And that's all if you even qualify for the surgery.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight! My mom had knee replacement surgery done and she had everything done within two months which was why I was a bit worried that it may interfere with my school internship. I’ve had a few other people I’ve found online also tell they had it 4-6 months after their first consultation too! 6 months would work well for me because I’ll be done with my internship by that time for sure. I’m a little sad that I’ll have to wait that long, but I have to finish my education first, seeing that my internship is required for me to graduate in May. I was able to contact my local weight loss program coordinator and they said I first have to attend a Weight Loss surgery seminar on December 20th. I haven’t done much yet but I feel like I’m taking huge steps already. I’m a bit nervous about what’s to come but I’m also very excited that this could really help me get the weight off. I’m not going into this blindly, and nor do I think this is a simple solution for weight loss. I’ve done my research, and I’ve always been losing and gaining weight over and over again for years now, and I’ve tried absolutely everything out there. I have a friend who had the same problems as me and he was able to get the surgery done and lost 150lbs over the last two years, is still losing weight, and has kept it off since he got his surgery. He used to bounce back and forth between 350-450 lbs for years. I’ve done the same, bouncing between 250-280 lbs for years, but I’ve now hit a time where I haven’t been able to lose anymore and have just gained weight. I’m now at 301 lbs.