Anyone taking 30mg og Phentermine daily

Hi,

Im currently at 155, 5'1. I had an abdominal hysterectomy on 9/1/17 and as a wonderful side effect gained weight.
I wasn't able to exercise besides walk until last Friday. My appetite was also at an all time high.
Doc prescribed phen 30mg 11/19 but at 30mg cap was making me sick. So I decided to take 1/2 in the AM and 1/2 in the noon.
I haven't lost anything and my appetite is still strong... suggestions??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You'll lose from a calorie deficit, not from suppressing your appetite (although suppressing your appetite may make it easier to create a deficit).

Are you currently logging and hitting a calorie goal?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    If pentermine isn't working for you that is all the more argument for not taking it. It is basically speed so at it's base it is not "good for you" and should only be taken for a short time anyway. Don't stop taking it cold turkey, though, because you can get withdrawal symptoms.

To lose weight, you "simply" need to consume fewer calories than you burn. You will need to train yourself to do that and phentermine is only a crutch that delays that training. I'm surprised your physician prescribed it for you as a first line of attack. Arguably, that was pretty reckless.

Anyway, work with your doctor or another medical professional to get off phentermine and read the stickies here about how to start losing. Then use the calculator on mfp or another calculator to figure out how many calories you can eat and lose 1 pound per week. Any faster can be too difficult to stick with and you don't want to give up before your have accomplished your goals.

Note that MFP won't allow you to set your daily calorie goal below 1200/day which is considered the minimum for an adult female to get all the nutrients she needs. If you are at all active, you will need to eat more than that anyway.

As you work to stay within your limits, you can figure out which foods satisfy your urges to eat and which don't. For example, if I have a fatty, heavy breakfast of eggs, cheese, and cream, I can control the urge to snack uncontrollably that night. If I have a high fiber breakfast, even if it has the same calories, I spend the day (and evening) ravenous. So, I eat my heavy breakfast and have fibrous snacks and lots of veggies at other meals. Do what works for you, which will take trial and error.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Not everyone has their appetite suppressed. From what I've read, there may be other benefits like increasing energy expenditure. I've never taken it but the idea that any stimulant is automatically not "good for you" or should only be short term seems overly simplistic. All drugs have risks, that doesn't mean they can't be beneficial to many when taken correctly. And I know people with adhd who benefit from long term stimulant medication.

Either way, the medicine isn't going to do all the work on its own even if it helped your appetite. Like others said, eat at a calorie deficit. See your doctor if you feel the medicine isn't benefiting you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    In order to lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit. Phentermine doesn't work for everyone, but even if it did work for you, it doesn't make you lose weight, it just decreases your appetite.

Set your goal to lose 1 lb per week. Use a food scale for all solids and log accurately and consistently. Look at your macros and if any of your protein, fat, or fiber is low, try increasing it. Those three things often help with satiety.