Feeling hopeless, in need of some help..

Options
Hello all. So a little bit about me: I’m 31, 5ft 2, weighing about 245lbs (maybe a little more, been too scared to weigh myself lately). I have an 11 year old and a 6 month old. Before I had my first baby, I was pretty small..at my most I weighed 130. Then shot up to 199 till I had her but after my c-section i was never able to lose the weight. I’ve tried sooo many different things and I can’t seem to lose much at all and then it just comes right back. It doesn’t help that I suffer from anxiety and depression, and the bigger I get the more depressed I get. I tried getting a gym membership but unfortunately my baby doesn’t allow me to go, she’s so difficult no one will keep her for me...I tried totally changing my diet and started feeling better but after a month I had lost only about 3.5 lbs, and all it took was 1 day of slipping up and I gained it all back plus some, even after going back to eating better (& by eating better my days consisted of eggs for breakfast, walnuts or pecans for snack, small salad for lunch, and a supper of just chicken and vegetables, and all I ever drink is water) My body hates me. I see so many people eat whatever they want and never gain a pound, and all I have to do is look at a cookie and gain 10 pounds

Replies

• jackieprimus
    jackieprimus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Have you had your thyroid levels checked, and checked thoroughly? I had this same issue happen to me as well after my second baby. Shoot me a message!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, calculate a modest calorie deficit, weigh and measure your intake and keep a food diary. The other thing you have to change is your thinking.

You need to give the process time to work. 3.5 lbs lost in a month is good. The issue you you should be working on is whether the plan that resulted in the 3.5 loss is something you can live with long term. Think about how you are going to live going forward. Think sustainability, not speed.
  • vm007
    vm007 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Define your "Why" - why do you want to lose weight. If it's strong enough you'd do everything faithfully.

Consider calories as -daily spending allowance- Think of it this way- if you are only allowed to spend 100 dollars a day and -you start spending more than you have it'll start accumulating interest on the money borrowed.

Weight gain is the same. It may not show up right away- but the calories slowly creep up and then it demands more than minimum payment to pay it all off.

There is no winning - calories in vs calories out. Eat whatever you want to - if it's below maintenance levels you will lose weight (unless something wrong medically) - I've lost weight eating pizza - I measured each topping and slice weight lol. It was a tough process but it's done. BTW Xl pizza slice with 3-4 toppings could range from 350-500 cals PER SLICE.

Some foods are nutritionally empty- so after eating them -we feel even hungrier.

Good luck- and start by finding your "Why"- btw don't rely on motivation- because it'll die after a while- you need consistency which makes you keep going.

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn’t hate you, as much as it may feel that way. I wonder if you hate your body. I wonder what would happen if you stopped focusing on weight loss, in fact stopped trying for it at all. What if you took steps to address your mental health? What if you decided whether or not you want to move your body and then, if you want to move it, move in a way you enjoy? What if you gave yourself full permission to eat whatever you wanted without any intention of restricting, without the thought of “I better eat all the things while I can because I’m going to have to restrict soon?” What if you tried trusting your body instead of trying to force it to be smaller, which hasn’t worked so far? What if you worked on doing things to make you happy right now at your current weight? It’s scary and counterintuitive and likely not going to be received well on this weight loss website/forum, but if you’re at all intrigued I can give you some resources to learn more about this approach. It’s kind of amazing.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Your first month loss is actually pretty reasonable. It took two weeks of accurate logging for me to start losing at a rate of one to two pounds per week. So be patient. Don't give up! I agree that having a wider variety of foods will keep you happier with this whole weight loss process. Just stay within your daily calorie limit and you'll see an improvement. Give yourself a pat on the back for starting MFP. It's a daunting task to undertake at first, but within two months I bet you'll be more comfortable with your choices and you will experience success.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your loss looks like it is right about right.

Try weighing and logging your nuts. See how many calories are in those suckers.

Babies are only six months old for thirty days. You can postpone the club until you can more easily hand her over.

It does get easier. Every loss is good.