Recovery

Options
Over the last few months i've really got into fitness. I exercise as it relieves my stress enables me to do my job better and keeps me happy and bubbly! However recently i've found recovery difficult. My body gets tired and i get serious aches and pains. My routine currently is.

Monday:am 60 mins yoga pm 60 mins yoga
Tuesday: 45 mins spinning, 60 mins yoga
Wednesday: 60 mins bodystep class
Thursday: 60 mins bodypump, 45 mins spin
Friday: 60 mins pilates 60 mins yoga
Weekend: cycling/swimming sat, sunday off (light walking)

Does anyone have anly suggestions as to how to improve recovery after these activities, im not keen on cutting down as due to the mental benifits but i'd really like to ache a little less (im currently taking a saturday off as I hurt!!) Maybe my protien is a little low, would that have much of an effect? can i stretch better etc?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,071 Member
    Options
    If you're getting serious aches and pains, like you say, my first question would be: are your spin bike and the bicycle you use to ride outside set up correctly for you?
  • weightlosssloth
    weightlosssloth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My bicycle was set up by the manafacturer shop, for the spin bikes i follow the instructors guidance but thats a good point, will google best set up..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,071 Member
    Options
    The next question is ... what hurts?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Looking at your overall schedule and without knowing exactly what you mean by finding recovery difficult, there is a lot of volume there in your schedule. As Machka9 asked are part of your body hurting? Or is it an issue of fatigue and energy levels?
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a foam roller post exercise?
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If your body's tired and you're feeling aches and pains, that's a big sign of overtraining. It never killed anyone to take a few days off to let the body recover. That's a heavy schedule you have there, especially if you're going hard on the yoga.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I think if you don't build in some recovery time, your body will force the issue due to injury. I understand you don't want to reduce your exercise because it's very rewarding, but... you're in some pain which is a signal you shouldn't ignore. Try just one exercise on Tuesday and Thursday this week. If you're sore, soak in a warm Epsom salt bath. Be sure to drink lots of water. Evaluate how this worked for you.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    How old are you, that matters.