Crossfit yes or no

Options

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I did crossfit for 3 years, even started doing 2 classes a day one being a strongman wod just for me. They can program to your needs. Like me having bad knees I had to stop. You will be fit for sure. I was doing power lifting 3 times a week too in a regular gym. Now I just lift heavy upper body movements hoping for one more bench press meet. Put this way if you and your buddy come across a car accident and have no phone service, the crossfitter can go run for help while you rip the doors off an free the victim. Thats what I do...lol I'm not a spider monkey with a manbun.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    @Luxduca it's Monday...did you check it out?!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Yeah, how did it go?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    They killed Lux!!! Savages.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend does Crossfit and loves it. Is it for me, no. First off, it's triple what I pay a month for the gym. Second, they do a lot of stuff I have no interest in doing. If it helps you reach your goals, then do it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I find a lot of these criticisms funny because people are saying CrossFit is bad because it doesn't fit my goals. Yet people rarely go out of their way to dismiss another form of exercise because it doesn't fit their goals. No one cares that it doesn't fit your specific goals. But when it comes to a general fitness program that keeps people engaged and wanting to continue to workout, it's really tough to beat.

Quite happy to discount anything that gets all ONE TRUE WAY (TM) and claim miracle results.

Particularly when it's significantly more expensive than other options.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Yes, If they have an actually Olympic lifting coach then yes; if not you'll reinforce terrible technique that will lead you to injury.
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I LOVE crossfit! I've been doing it for a little over a year. I'm sure I would see way better results if I would stick to better nutrition though lol... Most places give you a free workout or two so try it out and try a few different places out too to see if you like this place over that place and the workouts in general. If it doesn't seem to be the right fit, you can always try something else.
  • LoveForWine
    LoveForWine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    rubydrm wrote: »
    I LOVE crossfit! I've been doing it for a little over a year. I'm sure I would see way better results if I would stick to better nutrition though lol... Most places give you a free workout or two so try it out and try a few different places out too to see if you like this place over that place and the workouts in general. If it doesn't seem to be the right fit, you can always try something else.

My sister has been doing crossfit since Feb of this year and loves it. She was really disappointed that she wasn't losing weight. Her box started doing IIFYM 4 weeks ago (logging weight and inches lost). She is down 15 lbs and 5.5". Basically once she started keeping track of calories the weight started coming off. Diet is key:)
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, what you enjoy and what motivates you, but of course everyone has said that already :P How did the class go?

I plan on joining a local box when I have the disposable income to do so, right now I get a discount at a gym chain from work and I'm saving to go back to school so I can't justify it. It is expensive but to me, a good box is going to be worth it. When I'm at the gym, outside of swiping my card to get into the gym I don't talk to anybody there, no one is watching my form, and no one is motivating me to push myself so a lot of the times - I don't. These are struggles I face, some people are great at pushing themselves and love the fact that when they're at the gym they don't talk to anyone. I come from a team sports background and I find the competition and camaraderie to really help me do the best I can, not to mention every session you go to you should have an experienced trainer motivating and keeping an eye on a relatively small group of people, that alone makes the thought of it worth it to me, because there should be somebody making sure your form is good.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    At my gym we do a type of Crossfit called Alpha. We do a lot of power-lifting. I love the class and my upper body got so much stronger but my right knee is killing me from barbell squats. I do miss the cardio that I used to get from Bootcamp also.
  • Luxduca
    Luxduca Posts: 979 Member
    Options

Moved to this Saturday. I couldn’t attend on Monday.
    So,Saturday morning at 9am. I will give you my verdict.

• Luxduca
    Options

Yeah, how did it go?

Going on Saturday. Couldn’t go on Monday.

• Luxduca
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    They killed Lux!!! Savages.

Lol still alive and kicking
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes. Every box is different, find one that has good coaching. Also, it's important to listen to your body. Nobody forces you to do the reps at the prescribed weight. Scale the workouts as needed. Check your ego at the door, a lot of people get hurt because they have too much pride and won't use a lighter weight.

I second this^ The coaches and owners at the box I go to are amazing. They are serious about proper form and scaling down to a safe level. Another thing, CF used to have "prescribed" workouts with set weights for each lift and I think it made people more competitive and likely to injure themselves, they have gotten rid of this now and I think it's great. Just find what works for you, be safe, and ask the coaches about form if you are new to a lift or movement and you'll be fine. Could just as easily get injured running or playing a sport if you don't use proper form.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I can't justify the cost.