Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Carrots have a habit of doing that.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP, its quite a revelation isn't it, to realize that you don't have to cut out certain types of foods in order to be successful at weight loss? Guess what... that includes candy and whatever your definition of "junk food" is as well. You can absolutely include those, in moderation, as part of an overall balanced diet in a calorie deficit, and still lose weight, if you desire.
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've heard of experiments where a guy lived off candy and chocolate - but stayed in a calorie deficit for 8 weeks. Guess what, he still lost weight.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I also eat carbs at every single meal. In fact, I go over my carb macro pretty much every day. As long as I stay within my MFP allotted calorie limit, I lose about a pound a week. I've lost 40 lbs. so far and have another 25 lbs. to go. I eat either rice, potatoes, cous cous or some type of pasta every day as well as bread, fruit and cereals. I measure portions carefully, try to meet my protein macros each day and have seen steady and continual weight loss.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Carbs are awesome! (see profile picture)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    ITA- I love carbs and eat them and so far have still lost weight- thanks for the post- it is SAD how so many people really fear carbs now- oh and fat too though maybe not as much as carbs-
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Nope. If you're in a calorie surplus you will gain weight. I really dislike bringing up the Holocaust, but

In the morning, the prisoners were given a small amount of “imitation coffee.” It was meant to be drunk with 1/5 of a loaf of bread, which was distributed the previous evening. Many inmates had already eaten it before morning. Handed out with the bread ration, according to slightly varying survivor testimonies, were 8 to 20 grams (0.3–0.7 ounces) of margarine and, once a week, 30 grams (1 ounce) of poor-quality sausage, 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of curd cheese, and 50 grams (1.8 ounces) of jam. External work detachments were given 30 grams of sausage three times a week. The prisoners received no sugar, milk, cheese, fruit, or drinking water, though the tap water in the Auschwitz area was undrinkable. Often several prisoners had to share a soup bowl. Inmates were not issued spoons; instead, they had to swap at least half a bread ration for one on the black market. Some prisoners sharpened the handles of their spoons to create makeshift knives for cutting the bread.

The principal food was soup. At midday, on the construction site, each prisoner received about .75 liter (25 ounces) of “Buna soup,” brought there in huge thermos containers from the camp kitchen at 10 o’clock, but not eaten until noon. This “Buna soup” was so called because it tasted like rubber, Buna synthetic rubber, according to Gerhard Maschkowski: “It had three colors. It might be brown, or green, or yellow. Nothing in it.”[1] It contained nettles, grass, greens, and sometimes a potato, and it had virtually no nutritional value. The main meal was served in the evening after roll call: soup again, usually made from potatoes. The big vats were brought by two vat-carriers from the kitchen to the block, where the block elder distributed the soup. Here it was advantageous to be near the end of the line, since the few vegetables sank to the bottom of the vat. The inmates who helped carry the vat had a chance to get what was left in the big pot, as additional rations.

The diet contained almost no protein, hardly any vitamins and fats, and often caused diarrhea, in the opinion of Robert Waitz, who worked as a doctor in the prisoner infirmary, because the inmates’ bodies could produce almost no gastric acid and intestinal juices. a This complaint brought many to a so-called diarrhea ward, where they received no food at all for one or two days, which further debilitated them. According to different estimates, a prisoner had an intake of 800 to 1,500 calories per day, with the figure at the top of the range coming from the “manager” of I.G. Auschwitz, Otto Ambros. Rudolf Vitek, a doctor imprisoned in Monowitz from November 1942 until February 1943, estimated that during that period a prisoner in a heavy-labor detachment had a deficit of approximately 1,100 to 1,200 calories per day. This rate of depletion meant a weight loss of 2 to 4 kilos (4.4–8.8 pounds) per week: “the normally nourished prisoner at Buna could make up for the deficiency by his own body for a period of three months.”[2]

[1] Gerhard Maschkowski, oral history interview [Ger.], June 29, 2007. Archive of the Fritz Bauer Institute, Norbert Wollheim Memorial.

[2] Rudolf Vitek, affidavit, March 3, 1947, NI-4830. Archive of the Fritz Bauer Institute, Subsequent Nuremberg Trials, Case VI, PDB 75 (e), pp. 43–46, here p. 45.

I don't think there's much room to call the above either nutrient-rich or low-carb.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OuchArtist wrote: »
    As long as you meet the daily requirements of your vitamins and minerals, then you are good to eat carbs, if your diet is poor in nutrients then you WILL gain weight, the least you can do if you consume carbs is getting so much pottasium, and chromium, especially potassium, which acts as a sugar regulator, in addition to many other important roles such as preventing muscle breakdown, muscle building, etc..

How would a person gain weight, on a nutrient poor diet, if they are still in a calorie deficit?

Magic? I would love to know too.. I am getting tired of eating in a surplus over here to gain :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    As long as you meet the daily requirements of your vitamins and minerals, then you are good to eat carbs, if your diet is poor in nutrients then you WILL gain weight, the least you can do if you consume carbs is getting so much pottasium, and chromium, especially potassium, which acts as a sugar regulator, in addition to many other important roles such as preventing muscle breakdown, muscle building, etc..

How would a person gain weight, on a nutrient poor diet, if they are still in a calorie deficit?

Calories in, calories out concept is outdated, deficiency in essential nutrients and spiking your insulin with more carbs than you can handle at time affects your hormonal health, you don't have to believe me, but I tried it for myself and had to learn it the hard way.

There's not a lick of truth in anything you just said. Science.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

Calories in, calories out concept is outdated, deficiency in essential nutrients and spiking your insulin with more carbs than you can handle at time affects your hormonal health, you don't have to believe me, but I tried it for myself and had to learn it the hard way.

Evidence?