Fruits and sugar

Options
Can the sugar in apples and other fruits cause weight gain? I have one as a snack every few evenings. Just curious.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about sugar unless you have a medical condition which causes insulin resistance such as diabetes or pcos. Apples have relatively low calories and are high in fiber and vitamins, which makes them a good snack.

The fiber in fruit also makes it absorb more slowly, which means it is less likely to spike blood glucose. Even if you do have a medical condition, you can probably eat some amount of fruit. As a diabetic who frequently measures my blood glucose after meals, I find that fruit doesn't raise it as much as, say, refined grains. But this is very specific to different people. I have diabetic friends who have trouble eating fruit, and ones who can eat tortillas with no problem, which spike my levels badly.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am avoiding starches so I blow through the suggested sugar limit every day and still lose wight because the calorie count is well below what I burn.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    CyberDraco wrote: »
    Yes. Anything with calories can cause weight gain.

Yes.
    More specifically, the larger the fruit the larger the amount of sucrose the body has to convert into fuel OR store as fuel aka fat.

Fruit has fructose, glucose, and sucrose. But in any event, suggesting that has anything to do with weight gain is wrong. If you are in a calorie deficit you won't be adding fat, but losing it. If you are in a calorie surplus you are normally going to add fat regardless of what foods make up the calorie deficit (with an exception for when it's a moderate deficit and you are eating adequate protein and doing a strength training program -- which need not be formal, but it's about exercise, not eating fruit).

The idea that you gain more fat eating fruit than bacon (before bed or otherwise) is just absurd. Calories are what matters, but this idea that fats cannot cause fat gain (it's the apples!) makes no sense.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CyberDraco wrote: »
    Yes. Anything with calories can cause weight gain.

Yes.
    More specifically, the larger the fruit the larger the amount of sucrose the body has to convert into fuel OR store as fuel aka fat.

Fruit has fructose, glucose, and sucrose. But in any event, suggesting that has anything to do with weight gain is wrong. If you are in a calorie deficit you won't be adding fat, but losing it. If you are in a calorie surplus you are normally going to add fat regardless of what foods make up the calorie deficit (with an exception for when it's a moderate deficit and you are eating adequate protein and doing a strength training program -- which need not be formal, but it's about exercise, not eating fruit).

The idea that you gain more fat eating fruit than bacon (before bed or otherwise) is just absurd. Calories are what matters, but this idea that fats cannot cause fat gain (it's the apples!) makes no sense.

To add, considering fruit is associated with improved health markers... bacon is not.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Only eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yes having an apple every three days will cause massive weight gain! Also believing that having an apple every 3 days is proof positive of how the dieting industry has screwed up our minds.