Advice

Options
From experience, does calorie counting help in loosing weight?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Of course it does. Eating fewer calories than you expend is the only possible way to lose weight - all diets, exercise routines, etc. are just different ways to do this - and it's much easier if you know how many calories you eat and expend. Otherwise you're just guessing.

Down 108 lbs, 1 year.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't, then the 94.4 lbs I've lost so far has been a fluke...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nothing but eating less than you burn, consistently and for a long time, makes you lose weight. Nothing helps you lose weight. Common sense and experience both tells me that counting calories, when done correctly, is an effective strategy to keep track of calorie intake. You have to do it right, though, and commit to stay within the calorie goal. There are tips and tricks as well as personal tweaks that can help you with the calorie counting as well as sticking to the calorie target.
  • darhat59
    darhat59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find counting calories aides in being self aware of what you’re consuming. If you eat it because you want it without thinking.... I call this mindless eating. I’ve discovered even when I cut back on my exercise and stay within my calorie limits I still continue to lose. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. In time I may completely have a more disciplined mindset and be able to not count. But for now this keeps me accountable, I equate counting calories to keeping a $ budget. I’m frugal with how I wish to use my calories...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Calories In < Calories Out = Weight Loss.

I mean, it's the only way...unless you are good at intuitively eating less than you need. Some people can do that. I lost a lot of weight and have kept it off by staying within my TDEE number of calories for the last ten years.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    claphamg1 wrote: »
    From experience, does calorie counting help in loosing weight?

Yes
  • claphamg1
    claphamg1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • TorstenVB
    TorstenVB Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Calories In < Calories Out = Weight Loss.

I mean, it's the only way...unless you are good at intuitively eating less than you need. Some people can do that. I lost a lot of weight and have kept it off by staying within my TDEE number of calories for the last ten years.

Absolutely agree. Am currently down ~64 lbs total. This app has helped tremendously in keeping track of my caloric inputs. I don't usually track expenditure as far as exercise, but so far I've been successful. Hope you meet your goals!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Success Stories Forum. Just saying.