Bacon?!

Options
I was shocked this morning. I bought regular bacon for my hubby and turkey bacon for myself since it is always touted as healthier. Lo and behold, regular bacon is 50 calories for 2 slices and the turkey 35 calories for 1 slice. Should I just stick with the regular bacon for our Sunday brunches?!

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I gave up on turkey bacon. I have no religious reasons to avoid it, its just not as tasty and as you said it doesn't even save you calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Usually one slice of regular cut bacon is 40 calories. That may be a mis-labeling, or there is some weight discrepancy. Are you looking at the label, or the entry on this website? Lots of entries are wrong in this database. (They are entered by users.)

I don't like turkey bacon's flavor...and I like to use the rendered fat from regular bacon in other recipes/cooking.

I do like turkey sausage, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of variation on packaged bacon, because of different fat content and different cuts (probably more the latter). I normally get farm bacon and just weigh it.

Anyway, OP, I don't see any reason to prefer turkey bacon and I don't like it. I don't actually eat bacon that much, but when I do it's pork.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I don't care for turkey bacon in the least. I do eat a slice or two of bacon almost everyday and I just can't stomach the flavor of turkey.

Everyone is different in how they balance the flavor and texture of certain foods against how many calories they can save. Some foods just do not have alternate substitutes that fit me. I'd rather fit in the stuff I really like.
  • MarybethMcBain1991
    Options
    I found the calories on the label rather than the app. Regular=50 cals/2 slices; Turkey=35 cals/1 slice.
  • MarybethMcBain1991
    Options
    And I like Turkey bacon, prefer regular, would go with what's healthier.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Go with the one you like best. No need to punish yourself.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Bacon is what I consider to be one of the toughest foods to log because how much fat you end up with eating depends on how you cook it.

To me, the pre-cooked fat content seems less relevant as compared to other foods, unless you're using the rendered far for the rest of your cooking at the same time.

It is an estimate, of course, but I tend to weigh the bacon after it has been cooked. Divide the grams by 2. Assign 55% to fat and 45% to protein and calculate calories. The break down was based on eye balling and wikipedia so YMMV.

A very thin, say 4g cooked, slice might be the 25 cal you're discussing.

More usual range would be closer to 7g to 10g for the ones i've weighed and range from 50 to 70 Cal for a slice.

I generally consider restaurant slices to be 70 Cal unless they're looking unusually scrawny

I then generally pick an entry that reflects all that and log it.

The health claim of turkey bacon is that you consume less fat when eating it as compared to regular bacon.

In my calculation above more than 70%, actually closer to 75%, of the calories come from fat.

Fortunately, one of the side benefits of logging your food carefully is that you can identify the things that you enjoy for various reasons and try to work them into your life while still meeting your goals.

I very seldom choose to eat turkey bacon in preference to regular :wink:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Neither is "healthier". No foods are healthy or unhealthy... you diet can be more or less healthy. A healthy diet provides you with everything you need every day, and not too much of anything over time. There are so many ways to combine a healthy diet, that you really should have no trouble finding at least one you like. A healthy lifestyle includes a healthy diet, but does not exclude enjoyment from food. Choose whatever foods you like.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I weigh it and go by the usda entry by grams they have a cooked by microwave entry i use that. unless its precooked then i use the package.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Neither is inherently healthier...
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy turkey bacon simply for the fewer calories = more food.
    But I prefer the taste of stripey bacon (clarifying for those across the pond).
  • MarybethMcBain1991
    Options
    Thank you so much for your feedback and advice, everyone. It was very valuable to me and my outlook on diet.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon shouldn't even be allowed to exist. It's like semi salty cardboard. Lol