Weight Loss Surgery Experiences

Options
Hi everyone! I’ve made the decision to have weight loss surgery and I go for my first weight loss surgery seminar/consult on December 20th. I just wanted to know what experiences those of you who have gotten weight loss surgery have had, and if you have any advice, tips and info that may help me in the future. Some questions that I’ve had in my mind a lot are: though people get full fast after surgery, do they still get hungry quickly? How much food will your stomach tolerate/hold after weight loss surgery? Is there struggles to meet calorie goals because the stomach holds so little food?

If anyone would like to share, I’d greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi, @hiyomi, and congrats on making a life-changing decision!

I don't know what type of bariatric surgery you are considering, I can only share my experiences with my gastric bypass 5 years ago.

1. Five years later, do I still get full fast? Yes. Originally I could eat only about 0.5 - 1 cup per sitting. Now I can eat about 1.5 cups, amd I'm full.

2. Do I get hungry soon after eating? No. I'm careful to include proteins and fats in each 1.5 cups, and that sates me for about 4 hours.

3. Are there struggles to meet calorie goals? Well, there can be, until you learn the best ways with your body to use your new tool. Personally, carbs have never filled me up. (I remember golfing friends eating pancakes for breakfast and doing great for 18 holes; I HAVE to eat protein, or I'll die halfway through on the 9th hole.) Your bariatric surgeon's staff will give you guidelines on diet for each stage of your journey: FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES.

You will gain a powerful tool to enable your journey to a healthy lifestyle, but it is only a tool; you need to put in the hard work to learn the guidelines, then to follow them consistently. Ask questions. As you learn more, ask MORE questions!

There is a separate group here on MFP of bariatric surgery patients: I'll go find it, then put another post here with the link.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @hiyomi, here is the Bariatric patient link I mentioned above: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

Good luck!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Here is a group for WLS patients that is really helpful. There are people in the group at all stages - looking into surgery, post surgery from short term to long term, and they are very open and honest.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
  • blazers101
    blazers101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve procedure done 4 years ago. If I had to do it again I would do the bypass surgery. The worst thing for me of the surgery itself was nausea. It bothered me more than anything and I was told that sleeve patients have more issues with that than the other procedures but they didn't know why. My issue before surgery was pasta and lots of it - and literally no protein. Pasta is not so easy for me now to eat without feeling sick so I have changed my "bad" habit to chocolate. I never was a big candy fan before.

I remember calling the doctor because I literally would "forget" to eat and could only get in about 600-700 calories a day. Most of my protein came from shakes (Unjury is the best!). I could only eat a few bites of something before being very full. He said that would change over time and it did. I also was a big soda drinker prior to surgery (diet gingerale) and had stopped and didn't miss it. Not sure what changed but after a few years I stopped intentional exercise, stopped tracking my foods, and "experimented" with no-no foods like chocolate and soda and found that I could pretty much eat anything I wanted to, although some were more difficult than others (breads, pastas).

The first year you lose an incredible amount of weight and my advice is to stick to the plan as it is a lifestyle change, don't experiment with foods you shouldn't be eating or drinking to see if you "can". I found after the first year the weight came off much slower and it was harder. I've put back on 28 lbs of the 70 I lost and while I still feel a whole lot better than I did before, I now have to 'diet' and get back on track like I would have to before the surgery. It isn't as easy to lose anymore.

As others have said PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN! I never knew protein made you feel full longer and was really good for you until I took the pre-surgery classes. Protein shakes (Unjury) were my lifeline to getting the amount of protein I needed and helped shape my body to what I hadn't had before. Tight and firm, people noticed, and I felt great.

I am now trying to get back in to my post-surgery routine of exercise, food tracking, meal preparation, PROTEIN, and just a better way of living.

Oh, lastly, I recommend studying what you can and can't eat post-op and what vitamins/supplements you need to take, when (morning, noon, night), and research what worked for people. It was actually work trying to remember everything I was supposed to take, when, what couldn't be taken with what, tracking protein and other nutrients, etc. I'm sure there are a lot of reads out there.

Sorry for the long, all over the place message, and I apologize for not proofing. LUNCH BREAK, with a salad. :)

Good luck with your surgery. You won't regret it!
  • lporter0813
    lporter0813 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All I know is I like that a little food goes a long way now. I'm down 42lbs since surgery on 10/17/17. I eat about 1/2 c. - 1 c. of food at a meal. I weigh my meats so I can track amounts. I eat some of my protein, and drink the rest. I do usually one protein drink a day now. I like Premeire Protein Clear Protein. It's fruit punch flavor and doesn't weigh so heavy in my stomach as the powdered whey protein smoothies. I think Atkins is my favorite pre-mixed protein beverage. I really hate most others. I now eat pretty much what I want (2 mos. out), but I still stay away from bread, pasta, rice...mainly. You will do fine. Keep following healthy tips and get in 60 gm of protein each day. Good luck.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Best decision I've ever made. However - my biggest piece of advice work on ANY food issues you have now. It's not a cure all. If you aren't mentally ready for a lifestyle change then after surgery will be hard. Sure, you are super limited the first couple of months after surgery but at some point you are able to eat a cheeseburger OR 2 boiled eggs and an ounce of cheese. That's where the mental part of this surgery comes into play....

I'm 16 months out - and still struggle. I follow a keto lifestyle, work out 5 days a week, and if I don't prep and have an idea of exactly what I'm going to eat I struggle. I look at my before pictures and that keeps me focused. It's so easy to forget where you were....so I constantly remind myself. I look at that 280lb picture every time I open my fridge.
  • amberm912
    amberm912 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    just got my sleeve on 12/14/17! Please add me
  • aastishjoshi
    aastishjoshi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello friend I am From India I went to Australia on some occasions, where before eating a lot, I learned about some Indian restaurant in Australia and they completely solve the problem of food,That meal really got a good Indian meal so that the body remained fit,
    If there are some friends like this, giving the link to the Indian dinner, you can really do it,
    http://www.theindiansun.com.au/spiceout/

I am very grateful to http://community.mhphitinespal.com
    I broke a lot of information about this, about fitness, and that's why I also control my Diet. Thank you One Again
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10618544/weight-loss-surgery-experiences#latest