Starting now!

Options
I have recently gained alot of weight from over eating and my mental health, but being over weight makes me very unhappy and has resulted in me becoming depressed and taking my anger out on those around me, I don't want to bring anyone down. So from now on i need to get on a strict diet, will power and determination, it's so hard to deal with the temptation that comes my way though.. always people trying to buy me candy even when i tell them i am not hungry. Does anyone have any tips to avoid those over indulging starving moments?

Replies

• TorstenVB
    TorstenVB Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I always keep a bottle of water handy for whenever I have a food craving. A lot of the time when you feel you're hungry it is actually thirst. That often does the trick for me. I try to keep to a schedule, and of course use MFP's logging system to keep track of what I am eating. I did that and got down to 200 from 250, and am currently working on getting to 160.

Something that also helped me with will power and determination (though I no longer do it and should get back on it) is some guided meditation. There are plenty of apps out there that can help! I'm sure lots of the community here will have plenty of great advice as well if mine doesn't quite fit the bill. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have tips, but you have to change some assumptions and attitudes in order for them to make sense.

If you by strict diet mean low calorie and/or cutting down/out on several/essential/favorite foods/food groups/nutrients, don't do that. If strict diet just means taking control over your food intake so that you eat regularly, balanced, varied, enough, but not too much, you have go-ahead.

Do not rely on willpower for a weightloss endeavour. You have to eat less, for real, consistently, and for a long time - so you need to change what you can change when it comes to your immediate surroundings and habits, not try to whiteknuckle through temptations.

Be certain that nobody eats candy because they are hungry (maybe some crazy people do, but most people eat it because they like the taste, not for the nutrition and satiety it brings).

Also be certain that starving yourself always leads to overindulgence later. So starving yourself is not only not necessary, and really unpleasant, it's counterproductive. But indulgence now and then is perfectly fine. You can (and I think you should) eat anything in moderation.

So: Plan meals you want to eat. Eat regularly. Eat with friends and family. Don't routinely overeat. Eat what you like, and enjoy what you eat. Expect weight to decrease slowly and erratically, even if you stick strictly on plan.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Your look of weight loss and getting healthy has me wanting to run out and overdose on donuts!
    Strict is NOT the word I think of. Its about what you CAN have within your allotment of calories.
    Research these sites and move on a good program and go for a walk girl!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    How old are you that people buy you candy at every turn? No one ever offers me candy...... :'(