Simple trick that took an embarrassingly long time for you to figure out...

Options

Replies

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I decided to create this thread in the hopes of finding out that I'm not the only one who can be extremely slow to figure out very simple things. So what are some really simple things about weight management, health, fitness, etc that took you waaaaaay to long too figure out.

For me it's been that I can't exercise my way to my goal weight. I have to monitor what I eat.

But the particularly embarrassing one is that I spent months scooping out foods like cream cheese, peanut butter, oil, butter, etc into a container so I could weight it on my food scale. Eventually someone on here pointed out that I can simply weigh the container before and after I get what I want and subtract the difference to get the total amount I ate. Duh! Now it seems so obvious.

Even easier, put container on scale, tare, remove required amount. Negative reading is your grams :)

I started with an old scale that didn't read negative numbers - it would just display "E". Even though I now have a newer scale that does negatives, and I know how much easier it is, I still usually forget. Old habits, I guess.
  • GuyWinton
    GuyWinton Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This type of dieting works great, until it doesn't. If it continues to work for you and you get to your goal weight this way, then good on you. I wish it worked this way for me, but I would overeat without the scale and being reasonably accurate.

LOL, for a fuller picture I refer you to my post previous to that one....the philosophy about "not going in my mouth". Its all about my brain and will being in charge of my body - not my taste buds and stomach...

I will admit that my case is prolly easier than average, as my low-salt diet in conjunction with my active life and single status, means I don't often cook and have a _very_ limited menu/diet that I have refined and tuned to fit my criteria and goals.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I missed this one the first time around.

It took me to forever to figure out that in the app I just needed to turn my phone sideways to see the macro breakdown for the foods in my diary, including a total by meal :lol:

Wait? What?!?

ETA: Holy smokes. Why did I not know that? That's awesome.

I know, right!!? Game changer!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

It took me to forever to figure out that in the app I just needed to turn my phone sideways to see the macro breakdown for the foods in my diary, including a total by meal :lol:

NO WAY!! I just tried this too, and it worked! But I thought I had tried it before and it didn't do anything. Has it changed recently? Either way, thank you!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Wow.

Did not know this.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Wow.

Did not know this.

Totally going to check this out tionight
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

NO WAY!! I just tried this too, and it worked! But I thought I had tried it before and it didn't do anything. Has it changed recently? Either way, thank you!!

It's been this way at least on the Android version for quite some time.

I'm fairly giddy that I was able to share something some of you I consider old pros didn't know! :smiley:
    And yes, @Tacklewasher that hug's from me :tongue:
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @pinuplove *turns phone sideways* WHAAAAAT?! I just thought this was something the mobile version was missing! I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to know what my macros were for a particular meal and was left guessing off my total for the day (The only thing that pops up) This is awesome, thanks! :blush: