Plant-based during Holidays - Tips for staying the course

Options
With one holiday down and one more to go, this season can be tricky for those new to a plant-based or vegan diet - including myself! I am hopeful that this discussion board will provide a place for others to give tips/tricks they’ve used to stay on track during the time of year when food takes center stage.

I recently switched to a full plant-based diet and have just mustered my way through Thanksgiving but Christmas is around the corner and I know I can’t be the only one facing the first holiday season on this new path.

My plan for the day was to bring a dish I could enjoy that others might be open to (which is a real task in this southern family) and asked my mom to kindly do the same. This allowed me to have two menu items I could have at the holiday meal without compromise and without much fuss.

Would love to hear from others!!

Replies

• alihoule93
    alihoule93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My biggest tips/what has worked for me is:

1) Don't go on an empty stomach. I'm generally not tempted by meat, but I don't enjoy being hungry while everyone else is able to eat everything.
    2) (As mentioned) bring a dish that is nutritionally complete. I try to think of it as: if this is the only thing I can eat, will I be satisfied?
    3) Don't be afraid to ask ahead. I ask my family what they expect others to bring/what is being made, and then I plan around that.

I've been vegetarian for 2 years, and I remember being super nervous the first holiday family gathering we had... just hang in there! Now I barely think about it! :)
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    Long time vegetarian here! So not quite as restrictive as vegan.

My strategy has always been to not make too big of a fuss. If I'm not sure what's in something, I'll just ask. People may notice if I pass on certain foods, or if my plate is less full. Most people catch on over time and take my diet into account in the future. I also feel very comfortable asking/helping myself to food (from the fridge/pantry) from both my family and my husband's family.

Sometimes I think of it as a slight advantage around holidays, a few less options to put on my plate means less likely to overeat. For me, my vegetarian-ism is non-negotiable, so I'm not "tempted" by any meat offerings.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Thankfully there's lots of great Christmas dishes that are vegetarian! Mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green beans, candied carrots, salads, roasted brussel sprouts, roasted root vegetables... if you feel up to the task, you could bring a couple dishes to share.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Last year I made a nut roast on Christmas eve to take to the family gathering the next day. I just reheated it there an had it with all the veg and potatoes (and a cheeky bit of turkey gravy as I'm not a strict vegetarian and it was Christmas). It really wasn't that much hassle and it was super tasty, even my non vegetarian sister had some nut roast because she doesn't like turkey.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Gosh, we serve so many vegetable dishes around the holidays I can't imagine this being a problem. I can't imagine a gathering where eating only plants would ever be a problem, but if I thought it was I'd just eat a snack before going and take something I could enjoy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's often hard to tell if something is 100% plant based or includes some butter or stock or dairy -- mashed potatoes could easily contain cream or milk plus butter, for example (although that would be apparent).

I generally make dishes that don't need dairy or egg added (basically most vegetable dishes) without them, so people who avoid them have more options (I also usually don't add much dairy, etc., anyway, and cook with olive oil more than butter), but in a big gathering it could be hard to tell. It depends on how comfortable you feel asking for a head's up, I suppose, and I would make a few dishes to bring for yourself (and others, of course), that you know will be available.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Gosh, we serve so many vegetable dishes around the holidays I can't imagine this being a problem. I can't imagine a gathering where eating only plants would ever be a problem, but if I thought it was I'd just eat a snack before going and take something I could enjoy.

It may not be the case with yours, but many traditional holiday vegetable dishes include dairy or use meat as an accent/flavor. So in a typical holiday meal, I might see mashed potatoes, waldorf salad, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, brussels sprouts, pumpkin pie, and cornbread, but unless the cook is specifically thinking of making dishes for people who are eating plant-based/vegan, there still might not be anything I could include on my plate.

Your back-up strategy (eat a snack first and bring a shared dish I know I'll enjoy) is what I usually do when I'm visiting during the holidays.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Also coming from a southern family, and yes, some people put meat in *everything*. If you eat dairy, then your life is probably easier to navigate around milk, cheese, and butter in side dishes. Here are some of the things I've done as a longtime vegetarian:

- Bringing and cooking my own Tofurky or Field Roast (or other main dish). This is really key because you will probably not have much protein otherwise. Depending on your travel plans, your mom might be able to pick one up and freeze it for you ahead of time.
    - Asked my mom to make a small pan of dressing with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, baked on the side instead of in the turkey.
    - Introduced my family to homemade cranberry sauce. I just use the recipe on the back of the bag, and I can't even describe how impressed people are with it.
    - Added some easy vegetable side dishes (green beans amandine is a favorite, but corn and mashed potatoes also go over well, or even mac and cheese for a bit of protein and nostalgia). Some relatives have even developed a taste for veggies that they never ate before. Last year, my aunt made broccoli with browned butter and my uncle made roasted asparagus. It was the first time I could recall most of my relatives eating anything green.
    - If you're vegan and helping with the cooking, you might bring/ask your mom for vegan butter, soy milk, etc. Then, you can veganize a small portion of non-vegan side dishes. Can you scoop out a little bit of the cooked potatoes and mash them with vegan butter and soy milk? Can you put vegan butter in some of the corn?