Mid 30's, Depression, Trying to Lose 90lbs, sound familiar? Intro :)

Options
oEmmao
oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
edited November 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi All,

Here I am back at it again, but this time I find myself older (though not much wiser!) and dealing with depression and anxiety.

Anyone else starting their journey and want to add me as a friend?

I am starting at 228lbs and want to get down to 139lbs, even writing that is upsetting! (im 5ft4in)

I am Emma, 34, living in Ireland with my wonderful husband and little cat :wink:

Hoping to find some online friends to support each other while we get back on track.

Add a little about yourself here . . . . . :smiley:

Replies

• Kellielvsfam
    Kellielvsfam Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma
    I am also"back at it again"!I am quite abit older than you,but have always been obsessed about my weight.I used to be a tiny person,now i'm at my heaviest weight ever.I', 5ft 3in tall and weigh 270.I hate writing that number,but it is my truth.I have and am still learning about why i keep doing this to myself.Food is comfort and the thoughts of taking that away or reducing my intake,scares me causes alot of anxiety.Because i wonder...what will i do ,when i fell those emotions again.The ones that make me want to comfort with food?I now know,i need to deal with them.In order to calm the anxiety/depression.So,one by one i am brutally honest with myself about why...Why do i eat when i'm not hungry?What is it about a certain time in the evening?Well,i am married but sit alone most of my life.I am disabled for about 10 yrs now.2 failed back surgeries.fibro ,degenerative disc disease.I am finding it harder each yr to continue to play with my 5 yr old grandson.I do talk with my husband over dinner,then he goes to his computer room,until he comes in to say goodnight to me.Thats when i want to eat,when i'm sitting alone for hours on end with him in the house.So i have learned ,instead of going across the street to buy chocolate.I will pick up a book or try to walk around the block.Walking makes me think about alot of the things i have struggled with over the years.I feel ,if your aware ,thats the first step in working on making that problem better.I'm a work in progress.I just turned 49 and feel as if i'm 80.Today i'm starting a new way of living my life.Today ,i'm going to focus on keeping diabetes away.Not what the number on the scale is.Keep at it and i imagine you'll reach your goal weight ,or close enough to it.
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am right here with you Emma - so off we go to a better life style! We are starting 4 pounds away from each other so it will be easy to keep each of us going. Lets GO!!! 1Bear you too!! We can do this for our grandkids!!!
  • JennyAmi1985
    JennyAmi1985 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You're singing my story! Im 32, was just diagnosed with diabetes, have polycystic ovarian syndrome, and have been trying to lose weight for years. I'm good for a week or so, then crash and binge because I'll feel bad about myself. It's a vicious cycle. I have over 100lbs to lose
  • ari4413
    ari4413 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You're not alone!

36 with just under 100 to lose.

I have a broken spine, PCOS and 3 tumors in my head - but I also have a fabulous 15 year old son who makes every step worthwhile.

I'm 20 months post traumatic brain injury, which has had me blanketed in the haze of severe depression to boot. I started binge eating - to forget that the person I was will never be again.

I'm finally here, acknowledging that I have a serious problem, and ready to participate in life again.

It's slow going, and some days are better than others, but I just keep telling myself that I need to learn to walk before I can run. One day at a time is plenty.
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    32, depression, 5'5", with about 20 lbs to lose. If you figure out how to stay motivated with depression... please let me know! :-)
  • deyoun
    deyoun Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma , I am 34 and trying to loose 40 lbs. I recently experienced a small heart attack and it got me really thinking about my health. Surprisingly, I did not get heart attack for the obvious reasons of being overweight but due to something else. My heart is weak and it needs to be strong. I have three little kids and my youngest is 3 years old. I am a very hands on mom and very active and I thought I was active enough. Sadly no. I have anxiety ever since I went through this scary experience and really trying to do the best I can to be heart healthy. Lets do this together
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Hi, Emma - I love your profile pic, btw :smiley: Though I will have to say to Mr. Lewis that it depends on the book *laughs*

Feel free to add me! I'm 37 (getting close to 38) and 5 ft 8 and though I've been here since january 2017 and have almost reached 100 lbs lost, I still have at least another 100 lbs to go. I started at 375 lbs in January. Back when I was 32, I managed to lose around 94 lbs and hit the 290 mark from my all time highest weight of 381 lbs. I had already been diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance (thank the good Lord I was NOT diabetic) and was also hypo thyroid and on medication for it. I was doing well with the weight loss - first time in my life that I had had such success (and I've been overweight and/or obese since childhood), but then I hit a plateau and the will power to keep going just drained away from life. I also went through thryoid cancer treatments which I know played a part in my gaining almost all the weight back.

I too struggle mightily with depression. Despite being on a high dose of Synthroid due to not have a thyroid and protocol for dealing with thyroid cancer, I still have a lot of the hypo symptoms, including no energy, which I think just compounds the depression. That and I'm one of those people who are hyper-critical of themselves, so when I have too much time thinking on my hands, I can really get myself twisted up in knots with guilt and despair because I'm not the person I think I'm supposed to be and not doing what I'm supposed to be doing..... And unfortunately, I tend to have a LOT of time alone where I get to thinking too much......

I"m single and introverted so I don't have friends, and back in January, my best friend and roommate moved out after some difficulties we had, so I found myself living alone for the first time in 10 years. This year has been a year of huge changes too, and I have moved back home near family, but my family's interests aren't anywhere near what interests me, so there's still some isolation here - as you can tell, I tend to go overboard on my postings, most likely as a way to satisfy my craving for conversation lol

anyway, I have managed to get down 100 lbs so far, so it's definitely doable!
  • lovebloomfield
    lovebloomfield Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep going!! You are inspiring!
  • npane1001
    npane1001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi emma - it's wonderful to hear how committed you (and everyone else on this thread) are to your goals! i too am in a constant struggle with my anxiety and depression. motivation is the hardest thing to hold on to, at least for me, but i've found tackling this type of thing with others sure as hell beats going at it alone. sharing our stories is a great way to acquire an ongoing sense of community and encouragement. thank you for starting this thread. WE CAN DO IT!!!
  • chette78
    chette78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Emma, let's be friends! I'm 39 and a shorty at 5' need to loose at least 70lbs. I'm setting small goals for myself. Just to see if I can do that! I'm started doing this several times but with my 40th approaching in a short 8 months. I'm hoping to be near my true goal! That means hard work! I'm willing. I need motivation!!!! Let's do this girl!
  • plus20UsernameOfPower
    Options
    Hi, Emma! I'm 38, just clocked my first goal of 299 lbs to finally be under 300 for the first time in years. Trying to lose a minimum of 75 more pounds (in smaller increments, of course... so as not to get overwhelmed). I, too, deal with depression and anxiety, but have found ways to combat them. Feel free to add me if you like. :) Good luck!
  • manderthegreat
    manderthegreat Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi Emma. I sent you a friend request. In my late thirties, depressed and need to lose well over 100 pounds. My biggest difference than the rest of y’all is I’m 6’1. Lol