want to go to gym but can't afford/have baby

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What is it you want to do in the gym? If it's use equipment similar to that in the workout room, I'd see if you can use the workout room consistently before spending the money to join the gym. I'd also check on options at your school, as others said -- the schools I went to had great workout facilities and they were free for students.

The other benefit of the workout room is that it's going to be less time-consuming. The relationship issues, as others said, are for you to figure out, but your child has two parents, you don't have to be the only one taking responsibility for child care.

For weight loss, there are lots of things you can do while at home (especially if no one but the baby is around) or with the baby (walks and so on).
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. You don't need a gym to lose weight. You can sit in a chair 24/7 and still lose weight almost as fast as someone who exercises regularly. Just correctly count your calories with a "sedentary" lifestyle goal, and the weight will come off.
    cheeri0z wrote: »
    I don't know if I should save my money and just go to the workout room in my apartment
    building which has an elliptical, treadmill, dumbells and rowing machine.

If you have access to these things why do you need a gym? Honestly I think you might be making excuses. I did the same thing, so try not to take offense. 15 pounds can be lost in only 1-3 months with just dieting and no exercising.
    cheeri0z wrote: »
    I haven't been motivated to go there and he is always putting me down about my weight and how I can't achieve anything.

The guy sounds like a complete jerk to be honest. He should be motivating you to lose it, and offer to exercise/diet with you to help. I agree with the other person that losing the pregnancy weight really isn't the biggest problem. You should lose it for YOU, but not for him. If you're husband treats you bad just because you gained a mere 15 pounds after child birth, then he's the biggest problem. Not you.

• aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I take my little one on a 3 to 5 mile walk/jog everyday, I do it around her nap time that way she falls asleep and I don’t have to worry about her getting fussy and it gives us both fresh air. Although my husband doesn’t mine watching her when he gets home from work i feel guilty about leaving because i know he’s tired so I feel ya!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    aleikita wrote: »
    I take my little one on a 3 to 5 mile walk/jog everyday, I do it around her nap time that way she falls asleep and I don’t have to worry about her getting fussy and it gives us both fresh air. Although my husband doesn’t mine watching her when he gets home from work i feel guilty about leaving because i know he’s tired so I feel ya!

^^^THIS! When my girls were younger (6-12 months old) this worked like a charm.
  • sdancer2017
    sdancer2017 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you are being treated as anything less than awesome. The fact that you are pondering all these things after just having a baby shows that you are strong & ready to make a change. I started by joining my local park & rec department. It's cheaper than a gym & I've made soo many friends. After my divorce I felt like crap & showed up to class sad often. However, I've now taken the additional step to join a small gym & spurge on the trainer, since I've tried in my living room for years.
    I got a bonus at work & pu a hold on my extra money going to other expenses so I can pay for 6 months of training & classes. F45 classes & training. Ive made more progress in 3 months than on my own.
    But if I were you, I'd start building my esteem & strength back/meeting new people in the more cost effective way of fun park & rec classes. I really enjoy Werq & Zumba.
    I was in a slump & looking for motivation today & came across your post.
    Thank you for reminding me of why I started this path. Good luck to you!! You WILL do this!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Babies don’t stay six months old. In a few months or a year you will be in a better position to commit to a club membership.

For accomplishing goals, I suggest setting small (private) weekly goals and track your progress.

Considering this guys track record it’s your call if you choose to share your successes with him.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've found gym equipment to be one of those things that you can easily buy 2nd hand for a song. A bit like camping gear, people get all excited about fitness and it fizzles out quickly for many of them. So I've managed to put together a perfectly good home gym setup of near new equipment for peanuts. And I'm not even talking hard bargaining or rude offers.. Just people who got over it when they realized it would take a bit of work and now they just want the space back in their appartment. lol.